Exterior Cleaning Products

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
By the way, I remembered that there are different types of Krud Kutter. This is the one I used. I used it in a very dirty engine bay. It killed the mud, grease, oil, and dirt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 136

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I buy mineral spirits for Transmission cleaning solvent. There is a VP fuels here that sells it out of a fuel dispenser. You buy it just like buying gas for your car and pump it into your own container. Last time I checked it was $5.25 a gallon. Pretty cheap considering what Lowe's or Home Deee Pot gets for a gallon or a 5 gallon can.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Damn that's cheap, costs $11.00 here, been thinking of going back to Safety-Kleen..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn that's cheap, costs $11.00 here, been thinking of going back to Safety-Kleen..

To the best of my knowledge, Safety Kleen is mineral spirits. Called Safety, cuz it's non flammable just as mineral spirits is. What you're usually paying for with Safety Kleen is the service. They supply your solvent tank, and the service to clean and/or replace it.

Yep, it was just less than 2 weeks ago I dropped into VP Fuels at I-240 and S. Sunnylane to check on the bulk price of 100% Mineral Spirits. I have a 5 gallon bucket with a sealed lid and about a 3 inch spin on seal lid. I usually buy 3-4 gallons at a time since I don't build as many transmissions. I used to use a 15 gallon drum and bought 12 gallons at a time and had a pump rigged up with dual feed into a stainless steel tub I use as my parts bath with a drain that puts it right back into the tank.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
BTW, $5.25 seems high to me, cuz it wasn't all that long ago I was paying less than $3 a gallon.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
To the best of my knowledge, Safety Kleen is mineral spirits. Called Safety, cuz it's non flammable just as mineral spirits is. What you're usually paying for with Safety Kleen is the service. They supply your solvent tank, and the service to clean and/or replace it.

Yep, it was just less than 2 weeks ago I dropped into VP Fuels at I-240 and S. Sunnylane to check on the bulk price of 100% Mineral Spirits. I have a 5 gallon bucket with a sealed lid and about a 3 inch spin on seal lid. I usually buy 3-4 gallons at a time since I don't build as many transmissions. I used to use a 15 gallon drum and bought 12 gallons at a time and had a pump rigged up with dual feed into a stainless steel tub I use as my parts bath with a drain that puts it right back into the tank.
Safety-Kleen is mineral spirits I used them for quite a while, you don't have to use their tank or the service, I had my own and still have it all I had was a drop off because I was at work and nobody around to let them in, so I left the old one out and the driver would drop me a new one and take the old one, only bad thing is that the drivers don't get paid for picking up so since nobody was here half the time they would have some excuse why they couldn't pick the old one up, so I always ended up with a stack of drums, so after I accumulate about 15 drums I'd call them up and tell them to have someone pick these up or I was going to take them out to the Pomona swap meet and sell them, they were always here the next morning bright and early to pick em up, LOL...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't blame either for not picking them up if they don't get paid for it, or if they had to make several attempts. So I'm sure they didn't mind picking up 10-15 drums at a time. Funny how you can motivate vendors to pick up their **** when you threaten to get rid of it on your own. :waytogo:

So is $11 a gallon a bulk price place for you too? Like buying it out of a gas dispensor from an underground tank? (Actually I think VP uses a huge above ground tank. I'd say it's got to be 8000 gallons or above considering a tanker truck is 8000 gallons, it's bigger than a tanker truck trailer.)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This VP Fuels used to be owned by someone else called Clark's Oil and was bought out by VP. Before I knew of Clark's Oil, I was buying it from a Chemical Company that sold chemicals the same way in fuel dispensers and they were even cheaper, but being further downtown OKC, It wasn't worth it to me to save $.20-.50 cents a gallon and the I-240 and S. Sunnylane was fairly close to my house. Maybe you have a Chemical Company you can call and if they don't stock it, maybe they know who does. Paying $11 a gallon is outrageous ********. I could see $6-$7 a gallon with your location, but $11 when I can get it for $5.25, and it's less than $5.25, I just can't remember for sure, maybe $5.05 but for purpose of a quick calculating me to buy 4 gallons, I remember $5.25 going to be less than $21. And that price also includes the sales tax that is pre figured into the price at the dispenser just like gasoline is.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't blame either for not picking them up if they don't get paid for it, or if they had to make several attempts. So I'm sure they didn't mind picking up 10-15 drums at a time. Funny how you can motivate vendors to pick up their **** when you threaten to get rid of it on your own. :waytogo:

So is $11 a gallon a bulk price place for you too? Like buying it out of a gas dispensor from an underground tank? (Actually I think VP uses a huge above ground tank. I'd say it's got to be 8000 gallons or above considering a tanker truck is 8000 gallons, it's bigger than a tanker truck trailer.)
Yeah, they get paid by what they deliver not pick up, I don't blame them either I wouldn't want to work around a bunch of drums all day long either and not get paid for it... Yeah it's bulk, they pump it in your container, if you don't have one they charge you a fee for the first one then you just re fill it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I gotta tell a story about mineral spirits and it being NON FLAMMABLE. When I first started building transmissions in the mid 80's, a buddy of mine would get Five 55 gallons drums a month out the back door of a chemical company. They were dented drums to be sold at discount to one supplier, but he had a buddy that sent him 5 out the back door for a little cash. You know, CROOKS !!! So he'd sell me a drum of 55 gallons for $80. That last me a very long time, so to help my buddy sell it when I didn't need it, I hooked him up with a couple buddies of mine that had a shop and they split a drum. I told them it's NON FLAMMABLE Solvent, this was before I knew it was 100% mineral spirits and I just thought it was actually parts cleaner. So they bought it. I was over one day and they dropped a rag in the drum, took it out and dropped it off on the floor and caught it on fire. It burnt no problem. They tried to convince me it was FLAMMABLE and they were scared of it. I said ********, no way. I stuck my arm in the drum up to my elbow and held a lighter to my arm and no fire at all. I splashed some on the floor and held my lighter to it, no fire. They were like WTF? Dude you're going to blow us up. I told them I know it's not FLAMMABLE. But I myself was shocked as **** to see that rag burn. It was saturated in this stuff. Finally came to the conclusion. The solvent didn't burn but it sure didn't keep any flammable product from burning. The rag would burn even though it was saturated wet in this stuff. WEIRD !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, they get paid by what they deliver not pick up, I don't blame them either I wouldn't want to work around a bunch of drums all day long either and not get paid for it... Yeah it's bulk, they pump it in your container, if you don't have one they charge you a fee for the first one then you just re fill it.

Ours is self serve. You just pull up to the pumps and fill your own container. They sell everything there. Diesel, E10, E85, Methanol, Straight Gas without E in 87,89 and 91 Octane and High Octane Race Fuel without E, Mineral Spirits, and a couple other chemicals I don't recall what are. Then they also sell all kinds of Greases and Oils in 55 gallon drums too. Just about any Petroleum product you can imagine they have and you help yourself. Kinda like going to 7-11, then you pay on your way out the gate.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ours is self serve. You just pull up to the pumps and fill your own container. They sell everything there. Diesel, E10, E85, Methanol, Straight Gas without E in 87,89 and 91 Octane and High Octane Race Fuel without E, Mineral Spirits, and a couple other chemicals I don't recall what are. Then they also sell all kinds of Greases and Oils in 55 gallon drums too. Just about any Petroleum product you can imagine they have and you help yourself. Kinda like going to 7-11, then you pay on your way out the gate.
We can't pump it ourselves here someone does it for ya, the rest we can do ourselves, they just watch to make sure you don't pump race/Avgas into your street vehicle.

BiggG74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gilbert
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
Save your money

Take it to a highway "tractor" truck wash bring a set of ramps and pay some one to steam clean it real nice, that'll be your best bet, you can spay crap on it, but you'll be forever pressure washing it off, like trying to piss on dryer **** on the inside of a toilet bowl, sometimes it's just easier to pay some one a few bucks...
A few bucks to clean the dryer ****?....[emoji38][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell