Engine wiring/vacuum connections!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Hello all, I'm new to this forum so here is my story.

I have an 85 GMC k1500 which had a 305. I swapped it out for a 350 i scored at a salvage yard. They couldn't tell me what vehicle it came off of, all they knew was that it was a rebuilt 350. It came with its own carb, intake, distr, harmonic balancer. So we swapped it out and now the truck runs good but I'm missing a whole mess of vacuums and only a few engine bay plugs match up from the wire harness.

We also broke a few clips when unplugging. I can take pictures of the loose wires and where I believe vacuum hoses go.

I'm not that engine savy so I'm not sure if I'm missing sensors or clips or what every part is called.

I also searched the forum for similar threads and I found a few but nothing I was looking for. And if there were, I must of missed them.

If anyone could post diagrams or pics of where to where the vacuums/Wires go I would really appreciate it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hello all, I'm new to this forum so here is my story.

I have an 85 GMC k1500 which had a 305. I swapped it out for a 350 i scored at a salvage yard. They couldn't tell me what vehicle it came off of, all they knew was that it was a rebuilt 350. It came with its own carb, intake, distr, harmonic balancer. So we swapped it out and now the truck runs good but I'm missing a whole mess of vacuums and only a few engine bay plugs match up from the wire harness.

We also broke a few clips when unplugging. I can take pictures of the loose wires and where I believe vacuum hoses go.

I'm not that engine savy so I'm not sure if I'm missing sensors or clips or what every part is called.

I also searched the forum for similar threads and I found a few but nothing I was looking for. And if there were, I must of missed them.

If anyone could post diagrams or pics of where to where the vacuums/Wires go I would really appreciate it.
Ok, We need pics of your carburetor/ engine.
Do you have to pass Emissions?
If not, we can guide you through the basic stuff.
I hope you didnt chuck the 305 carburetor, or the 305 for that matter, you may have to transfer some stuff, your truck may have a computer for the Mixture solenoid, and ingnition control.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Ok, We need pics of your carburetor/ engine.
Do you have to pass Emissions?
If not, we can guide you through the basic stuff.
I hope you didnt chuck the 305 carburetor, or the 305 for that matter, you may have to transfer some stuff, your truck may have a computer for the Mixture solenoid, and ingnition control.

we took almost everything off the 305 but we had to hand in the core. I'll post some pics later on tonight of what you asked for and all the parts we took off of the 305.

I appreciate any and all help you guys can give!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
1985 - 305 - low altitude - federal - w/automatic:

You must be registered for see images attach

1985 305/350 common - low altitude - federal - w/automatic

Note: low altitude just means regular emissions package - as opposed to high altitude
federal means - not California

Last edited:

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Ok people I took a few pictures and here they are

Engine

Unplugged plugs and clips

Missing Vacuums

Carb

I'm a bit confused on which sensor is for the oil pressure switch and where it goes

I found this right under/near the distr

removed it and I added a switch very similar to this

But then I came inside and googled it and found that this might be my oil pressure switch

I have the oil temp working, also the distr that it has on now is missing a 4 wire plug, not sure if thats very important, but I do have the old proper distr if I need to install it.

Any thoughts and inputs would be greatful. Thanks!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hopefully those diagrams Chen posted help you out. Been a long long time since I seen a 2bbl carb on any vehicle. Not a bad thing though. That'll keep you disciplined and help the mpg for sure.

Welcome to GMSB !!!

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Hopefully those diagrams Chen posted help you out. Been a long long time since I seen a 2bbl carb on any vehicle. Not a bad thing though. That'll keep you disciplined and help the mpg for sure.

Welcome to GMSB !!!

I'm gonna try getting my oil pressure to work before I even try following the vacuum diagram, like I said I'm not sure which part is which but I'll do my best. I think all i want is to have the main vacuums and wires connected, if anything else is optional I won't be worrying about it just yet.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you mean you have Water Temp working? Are you talking about Gauges in the dash cluster? You'll have Water Temp, Volts and Oil Pressure. In that pic you have with the round looking bulb switch, and the brass adapter, that is an oil pressure sending swich and looks to be the same one I have on my 84 C20. Have you found an op switch near the distributor? It might just have a plug in it if it doesn't, but you should have a green wire toward the back of the motor near the distributor. That will normally be the op gauge wire.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

Welcome to GMSB !!!

Not to hijack this thread but I run a 2BBL carb.

Hated that air cleaner so I went back to stock.

I think the only vac lines on mine are for the dist advance, char canister and the stuff for the AC vent controls. I would go with a set of aftermarket gauges because the stock ones were known to be a little inaccurate .

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Do you mean you have Water Temp working? Are you talking about Gauges in the dash cluster? You'll have Water Temp, Volts and Oil Pressure. In that pic you have with the round looking bulb switch, and the brass adapter, that is an oil pressure sending swich and looks to be the same one I have on my 84 C20. Have you found an op switch near the distributor? It might just have a plug in it if it doesn't, but you should have a green wire toward the back of the motor near the distributor. That will normally be the op gauge wire.

Haha I wasn't sure if it was oil temp or water temp so thats my mistake. Yeah I got that working. So where does the oil pressure sending switch go?
Do i need both of these?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...zZ8znc6?itemIdentifier=123521_44645_9889_5835
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...Z8znc6?itemIdentifier=123828_111359_9275_5835

and where exactly do they go?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Haha I wasn't sure if it was oil temp or water temp so thats my mistake. Yeah I got that working. So where does the oil pressure sending switch go?
Do i need both of these?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...zZ8znc6?itemIdentifier=123521_44645_9889_5835
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...Z8znc6?itemIdentifier=123828_111359_9275_5835

and where exactly do they go?

You should only need one oil pressure switch. There are two different kinds of switch, one for a oil light and one for a gauge.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
You should only need one oil pressure switch. There are two different kinds of switch, one for a oil light and one for a gauge.

I see that one has two prongs and the other only has one. I take it they can't go in the same place being that the plug from the wire harness won't fit both

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thats a computer controlled Truck. you need to swap manifold and carb over from 305 to be right. But if you dont have to pass inspection, just pull both ECM fuses and tie all the loose ends up outta the way. dont cut anything off!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, he's computer, but not much of one. All he should have is ESC, Electronic Spark Control. So he'll have an ECM with a small harness that goes to the dizzy, and a wire to a knock sensor and that's about it. In fact you can use the original ESC dizzy, do a little wire twisting by pass and runs just like an HEI old shcool dizzy. All the ESC system is allow for the maximum advanced timing possible for performance, but will retard it if a knock is detected. The other purpose for for ESC was when fuel started getting cut back on octane. So you could go with the good high octane but if it wasn't availalbe, then that was OK to run the **** octane too.

Last edited:

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I see that one has two prongs and the other only has one. I take it they can't go in the same place being that the plug from the wire harness won't fit both

Does your oil pressure sender connector have one or two connections? Most of the time the oil pressure sender is located right under the distributor. I have only seen the two prong one on trucks with fuel injection setup. Do you have the one that came off the 305? It will work on the 350.

Do you have a picture of the 305?
Did the 305 have all of the emission equipment on it?
Do you have a emission testing requirement where you live?

Most of those wires and vac hoses look to be for emissions. If you don't have emission testing where you live you won't need them.

As the others said above, I took too long hitting the reply

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54