Engine died when driving and won't start - Coil melted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GXPWeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
1982 | 2015
Truck Model
Sierra C15 | Silverado Z71
Engine Size
5.0 | 5.3
I'd bet it's the Ignition Control Module. Same thing you described happened to me. Now I carry a spare AC Delco one in my toolbox on the truck, with the screwdriver and heat sink grease to replace it on the side of the road if need be.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Since you'll have the cap off, bend the tab up a little bit on the rotor. I have had one lose contact with the center button before. That caused a no spark issue on mine. I could not figure out why it stopped running. Popped the cap off, and saw the tab on the rotor sat a little low. Bent it up, reinstalled the cap, vrooom

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yup. Ignition module, that was it. Purrs like a sewing machine.
Whatever died first & fried the other, a coil or a module will remain a mystery. But I suspect a no-name module as a source of that drama. A part number G462 suggests that's a MasterPro brand.

Also had a reading on a GMT400 forum about modules, they all should possibly work, but would differ in timing, when and how much they advance spark. If my understanding is correct even a module suited for a V6 or a 4 cylinder should work, but would yield some odd timing thinking engine spins 50% or 100% faster.

I'll try to get a better quality coil and a 2nd module as a spare to carry.
What else is worth carrying in a parts box?

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Glad you got it fixed and reported back. A spare module, and belts. If it's a trip out of town, or a long trip like 4,000 miles, I'll also carry a spare cap, coil, rotor, water pump, fuel pump, plug wires (old ones from tune-up).

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
spare parts I carry- bulbs, radiator hoses, ICM, external coil, couple old plug wires swapped every 30k miles, timing light, cap/rotor from previous maintenance change swapped every 30k miles, swapped every 30k miles, small air compressor, tire plugs, basic tools, zip ties, electrical tape, fuses, volt meter, and fluids. oh - and the .pdf of the service manuals on my phone for easy access.

I am not dropping my fuel tank on the side of the road, and most of the TBI sensor failures won't keep you from getting home. so I feel pretty confident I have most roadside scenarios covered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Villano