Engine Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin S

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500 High Sierra, Colonial Yellow
Engine Size
BBC 454, manual SM465
First post, I am a bit interested in this too.

My starter is a `79 GMC 3/4-ton long (original wooden bed) 454 manual SM465, with low gears rated towing for 12,000, probably a 4.10 or 4.56 in the rear end (2200rpm@60mph?). barn find... originally ran propane for years, always synthetic oil, garaged (Ok, "barn") and in decent no-rust shape.

Naturally I have expensive plans for cam/headers/2.5 duals and a Sniper EFI system. Bonus would be the Ranger .30 overdrive unit between bellhousing and tranny so I can have a 10-spd with Hi-Lo for reverse... that would be fun. Probably would have roughly 12K or so in it by then if my rose-tinted over-Optimistic guesstimate glasses aren`t too far off.

Very stock, running condition, no rust, minus all the fancy parts yet to be done (except fresh wheels/tires...) what is something like this worth around here?
You must be registered for see images attach

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
to get the best return on invest you best bet is to do it as cheap as possible. when I say cheap I mean inexpensive not Mickey mouse. it's very hard to make your money back off of custom builds the money is in as close to factory as possible. highdesertranger

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thank you for all the comments. I have a lot to consider as I move forward. Performing the work is therapy for me so I don't need to account for my time investment. I just don't want to be on the losing side of hard costs. The object is to produce a quality build that is easier to sell for a small profit so I can move on to the next build. Again, I do this for the passion...and the therapy it offers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997