Electronic speedometer help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

critter2655

Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Having issues with a electronic speedometer. First off here's the truck, it's a 87k20 with a lt1 and a 4l60e and the transfercase with the VSS (241 I think). The dash wiring harness and transfer case were out of a 91 suburban. The engine wiring was sent off to be redone for the lt1. Here is my current issue. The VSS is sending a signal to the ecm, so the trans is shifting normal. This tells me that side of things is good. However the speedometer works only when it wants. I have 3 of these clusters, 2 do absolutely nothing and 1 works sometimes. Does anyone know how or who rebuilds these? Also how can I test one on a bench. Is there any replacement parts? Also do these clusters have a drac? Or do I need to somehow add this? Any And all advice is much appreciated.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
They use a separate drac. Can be tested on the bench using a function generator or 555 timer.

Picture of the drac board(from my old 85 with 91 cluster)
You must be registered for see images attach

critter2655

Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
So how would I test this, by doing so what could I learn from it and where could I find parts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dougli1