Electronic/HEI conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
73 C10, 327, auto..

Want to get rid of the points while I'm rewiring the truck...

Two 'affordable' paths that I see...

1) a points to electronic conversion kit using the same distributor that is now in the truck.. such as the MSD system.. I would need to buy a coil as well if I went this way

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/61001M/10002/-1

2) HEI such as the Skip White Distributor...

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6500CL

Future plans include installing a HiTech TBI, crusie control, and upgrading TH 350 to 700r4, and a digital dash

(https://intellitronix.com/products/digital-gauges/direct-replacement-dash/chevrolet/chevrolet-trucks/chevy-73-87)

I live in the mountains so I drive in altitudes from sea level to 8000 feet..
Plan to two my little tri hull boat, haul firewood and materials such as gravel, plywood, etc....

So, I'm leaning towards the HEI system (due to cost and simplicity), but have some questions..

1) Will I be able to get a tach signal from this distributor (since there is no external coil to wire to)?

2) When I need ti replace the cap will I have to buy from Skip White or is this something that I can go into any auto parts store and get a replacement (I know I may not be able to get the same color/clear)?

3) Will the vacuum advance operate as the current one does or is it set up for racing or what? Will I be able to adjust advance weights?

4) Is there anything else required to make this work?

5) will it play nice with all the other upgrades I listed?

6) Does this thing cause radio interference?

7) Is there any reason I should go the other route, or with a different product

8) Have others that have installed this been happy with it?

Thanks,
Mark
:cheers:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
73 C10, 327, auto..

Want to get rid of the points while I'm rewiring the truck...

Two 'affordable' paths that I see...

1) a points to electronic conversion kit using the same distributor that is now in the truck.. such as the MSD system.. I would need to buy a coil as well if I went this way

http://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/61001M/10002/-1

2) HEI such as the Skip White Distributor...

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/detail.aspx?Item=6500CL

Future plans include installing a HiTech TBI, crusie control, and upgrading TH 350 to 700r4, and a digital dash

(https://intellitronix.com/products/digital-gauges/direct-replacement-dash/chevrolet/chevrolet-trucks/chevy-73-87)

I live in the mountains so I drive in altitudes from sea level to 8000 feet..
Plan to two my little tri hull boat, haul firewood and materials such as gravel, plywood, etc....

So, I'm leaning towards the HEI system (due to cost and simplicity), but have some questions..

1) Will I be able to get a tach signal from this distributor (since there is no external coil to wire to)?

2) When I need ti replace the cap will I have to buy from Skip White or is this something that I can go into any auto parts store and get a replacement (I know I may not be able to get the same color/clear)?

3) Will the vacuum advance operate as the current one does or is it set up for racing or what? Will I be able to adjust advance weights?

4) Is there anything else required to make this work?

5) will it play nice with all the other upgrades I listed?

6) Does this thing cause radio interference?

7) Is there any reason I should go the other route, or with a different product

8) Have others that have installed this been happy with it?

Thanks,
Mark

1. Yes. The tach pin is on the back of the distributor next to where your 12V wire plugs in.

2. It shouldn't be a problem. The cap is a very universal part. The only thing that looks different is the Delco-Remy style coil cover and the aftermarket style coil cover. But since the caps are as universal as they are and HEI coils have to fit inside the same size housing, the coil covers should interchange as well.

3. Essentially the same (weights, springs, centrifugal doohickey). If you want to change your advance curve, you can get a HEI distributor advance curve kit and alter your weights/springs. Fairly simple.

4. Just a vacuum line and 12 volts of power.

5. Of course. It's a high voltage, more modern ignition system so it'll complement your upgrades. I'd say the only caveat I've encountered are ignition control modules. They can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Don't ever buy a Duralast or MasterPro replacement.

6. No. At least not once in my experience.

7. I wish Delco-Remy was still making distributors because they last for-freaking-ever. Delco remans the old ones, though, but I don't know what that's all about. People go in all kinds of directions, and I've only ever used OEM so I don't know about the other stuff. Point Breaker Ignition is gonna have positive quirks that HEI doesn't have and vice versa. Same for negative quirks.

8. No comment on this. Sorry, bud. Hope everything else helped.

Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
7. I wish Delco-Remy was still making distributors because they last for-freaking-ever. Delco remans the old ones, though, but I don't know what that's all about. People go in all kinds of directions, and I've only ever used OEM so I don't know about the other stuff. Point Breaker Ignition is gonna have positive quirks that HEI doesn't have and vice versa. Same for negative quirks.

8. No comment on this. Sorry, bud. Hope everything else helped.

What are the positives of points over HEI?

Thanks for your response.. I guess this means it's a fairly safe purchase?

Are the HEI coils on top also something that can be bought at any auto parts store?

Thanks,
Mark

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
The skip white will come with the coil built into the cap. I'd say you can but not positive. Not sure if your gonna find a 65K coil at typical auto stores. If I remember correctly it has a lifetime warranty. I can vouch for this dizzy, no issues what so ever. I've got the same one you are looking at, but in red.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
What are the positives of points over HEI?

Thanks for your response.. I guess this means it's a fairly safe purchase?

Are the HEI coils on top also something that can be bought at any auto parts store?

Thanks,
Mark

In a nutshell, you can make adjustments if you have problems or break down (i.e. breaker points) and keep going. That means something to someone like me who lives in BFE a lot of the time and hates breaking down. HEI either works or it doesn't. Now, with point ignition's adjustability, you loose the accuracy and strength that comes with HEI. Again, I'm not familiar with this particular kit that you're looking at, but HEI is extremely tried and true so it's definitely a safe purchase. I challenge you to find reviews on what you're looking at and explore their warranties and return policies, as well. Yes, the HEI coils are available everywhere and universal. Again, no Duralast and MasterPro. I use the BWD brand from O'Reilly's with no hiccups. It's not 65,000 volts, though. I'm sure you can get an MSD high voltage coil from a similar outlet, but I can tell you that is gonna be cheaper online.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
In a nutshell, you can make adjustments if you have problems or break down (i.e. breaker points) and keep going. That means something to someone like me who lives in BFE a lot of the time and hates breaking down. HEI either works or it doesn't.

Ahhh, okay that! This is one of the reasons I am leaning towards replacing the whole distributor instead of doing a points conversion... Same with wanting to use the command center when I buy the HiTech TBI..

I plan on putting together an emergency kit that has the existing distributor, carburetor, spare mech fuel pump, a cheapo electric fuel pump, belts, hoses, hose clamps, fuses, engine/tranny fluids (possibly even a a spare battery), etc., because I too go places where if I broke down, ain't no tow truck gonna come get me.... lol

This is one of the main reasons I wanted a pre smog truck, so I can do whatever I want to it and set it up so I can fix pretty much any issue on the side of the road, even if it's an old dirt road 20 miles in...

Think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on this...

Kinda weird that it's actually cheaper (even after shipping) than the kits to do the conversion with the existing distributor...

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oh! Another question...

Will I need better wires because of the voltage, or will stock style ones work fine?

Thanks,
Mark

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Just bought it.. I'll let you guys know how it goes..

Thanks again,
Mark

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Oh! Another question...

Will I need better wires because of the voltage, or will stock style ones work fine?

Thanks,
Mark

I would go ahead and freshen up your wires with a new Delco wireset. I feel like I've seen that you need to replace them before, but I don't remember where. Either way, you're running anywhere from over triple to over sextuple the voltage with this new HEI (10K-20K V to 65K V).

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Oh! Another question...

Thanks,
Mark
Since everything else is new why not new wires too and be complete, I use Taylor 8mm they will handle any voltage you put to it, but there are several others that are just as good.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
Also, Should I be looking at changing to a different plug type and/or gap with the new ignition system?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Instead of starting a war on plugs, I'll just say run what's worked best for ya, lol, GAP is whatever ignition you use requires, HEI is .045 that is factory.

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
I'd say the only caveat I've encountered are ignition control modules. They can be a pain in the ass sometimes. Don't ever buy a Duralast or MasterPro replacement.

Second both of these points. (No pun intended) I've had two or three distributors in my 76 vette in the 15+ years I've owned it but the best one was the original Delco I bought it with - after I rebuilt it. Still in there now and no problems. I had all kinds of problems with the billet aluminum jobber I bought on eBay, though. Same with the modules. The parts store ones are junk. Go with Delco or other name brand.

If I were converting a pre-'75 GM to HEI, I'd look for an original rebuildable Delco and go from there. Should be able find plenty on CL for less than $50. Especially look for one with no shaft wobble. I'm sure the bushings that the shaft rides in are replaceable, but not sure how easy it would be. Pretty much all the other parts are replaceable.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
I had all kinds of problems with the billet aluminum jobber I bought on eBay, though. Same with the modules. The parts store ones are junk. Go with Delco or other name brand.

What kind of problems?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997