Electric fan Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Have to get a powerfull dual fan set up to match original mechanical fan. I am working on puting 4th gen f-body fans in my swb. Suburban is staying with a clutch fan.

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
Windstar dual fans here, through a Sunfire/Cavalier starter recall relay, triggered by a temp control switch out of a FWD 2.8L V6 somethingorother threaded into the passenger side head with a pipe reducer.

Love it. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

You must be registered for see images attach

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When something "fails" on an electrical set-up, you usually lose all fan function. It then comes down to what needs to be fixed, how far away is the fix, and can you make it there without overheating your engine.

When a mechanical clutch set-up "fails", it usually involves the clutch locking up. When that happens, the fan still spins providing the cooling effect until you fix it.

Electric fans free up a couple horsepower/torque, give you more room in the engine bay, and seem to have some sort of hero status.

Lots of good set-ups out there, both aftermarket and factory retro-fits.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Somebody should start a thread that can be stickied to show how to wire an electric fan set up into our old squares. With a list of parts and part #s required

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That damned Okie is bumpin old threads again

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I wrote mine up on another forum. Not much to it for an sbc, which usually run pretty cold. I don't tow or plow, so I didn't go with ducted. So here's a simple setup.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=27899.0
Hey Rich, I must have missed the "before" fuel mileage numbers. Was there an improvement?

Was your fan clutch an HD model? My light duty version is very loose, and lets the fan spin for at least 5 seconds after the engine stops, so I'm not sure it's creating much of a power loss. Don't have any cooling problems though, even on 95-100 degree days. But hey, I've always wanted to play with electric cooling fan(s). :)

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, but minor. Maybe 1/2 mpg.

I got my K10 up to a solid 10 mpg on very short trips (~5 miles each way) of city driving, the first 2 miles of which are usually with the NP203 in LOC to keep the rear main output shaft bearing reservoir filled. This drive also includes the 60' high, 13* hill on my driveway and the 120' high, 10* hill on the country lane getting out to the highway, followed by a traffic light every half mile or so. Worst case driving for mileage. Solid 10 mpg summer, 9 mpg winter when the choke is on for the first several minutes.

I don't flog it but I'm not a granny either.

That's with: 350/260 crate engine, CC 12-300-4 cam, Edelbrock 1406 carb on Edelbrock 2601 manifold, TH350, modded NP203, 3.73:1 gears, and BFG 31x10.5R15 tires, with the Edelbrock dialed in to the numbers on a wideband A/FR meter.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
What damned Okie? :p

Hold on. Wait up!
What do you want your cake and to eat it too? Re-run threads or re-peat threads, which is preferred?
"Gah, this has been asked a million times, use the search feature!" It's not MY fault somebody has covered the line of inquiry, previously - but it seems likely. That results in topping sometimes ancient posts. BESIDES, this one had no resolution! I Can't win, I'm screwed either way.
There are only two choices; search this wealth of information (gmsb) for all it has to offer or make a bunch of ******* dupe posts like a lazy jackass and we all watch new kids do it, so that's enough for me.
Thanks @rich weyand, I appreciate that "different" take. Most stuff regarding I read has some crap to do with Ford parts,Volvo parts?, all manner of complicated, unreliable, retarded ******** so I keep looking for different solutions. I'm making a plan!

P.S. I'm not lazy. :p

Last edited:

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I wouldn't put Ford parts on a Chevy, but maybe that's just me.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
sacrilege.

Is nothing sacred? I lean VERY heavy towards the late LT1 dual fans on 92-02? Fourth gen Z-28s. I'm sure that what will end up happening...I think they are dual, offset 12 inch in a shroud that fits my radiator. All a guy has to do is find a donor and grab it all to dupe it on the truck... - computer so some controller must be established. Everybody knows I has a line on Camaro parts...

Y U NO Z-28 fans?

I'm also sure that I'll eventually top some more ancient posts, if only to keep all my buddies on their toes. ;) Hero status here I come!

Hey Rich, as a point of recent interest, what cylinder heads are on the Working Girl? I recall about the heat crossover/manifold stuff I saw somewhere...U has vortex?
Don't you love the "vortex fan blades are better!" Hilarious.

Everybody likes Merle Haggard. R.I.P. :(

[yt]68cbjlLFl4U[/yt]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54