Electric Choke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hankumpankum

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a Quadrajet carb with an electric choke but want to know the correct voltage to get it to work right and where is the best place to get the voltage because my harness was not wired for an electric choke.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I put a jet quadrajet carb on my blazer and went to a ignition on 12 volt source and it works great. Back in the day holley carbs recommended wiring the power wire to your wiper motor , (it has 12 volts but only when the key is on).

I dont think this is the text book way for a choke hot wire but any 12 volt key on source has worked good for me.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Not sure about your 87, but in the 80s, GM ran the choke wire (from its own fuse, I think) through the oil pressure switch. The idea was if it ever takes a lot of time to start the engine in the winter, the choke will still be closed when it finally fires up.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
That's how my 86 is. Only figured that out when I got rid of the leaky oil switch and pressure sensor and installed a mechanical oil press gauge. First time I hooked the choke up, had to learn what the choke light on the dash meant, now backtracking and getting new switch and sensor. Guess I should have looked at the wiring in my FSM first, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL