Dually or Srw frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hope this is the right spot to ask this but im curious if we can tell with the RPO codes if a truck was a srw or a drw? I bought the truck with no axles so i dont have a clue. Another question did 4 wheel drive duallys get a rear sway bar or just 2 wheel drive? Did single wheel trucks ever come with a rear sway bar?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There was an option code for dual wheel, but I don't remember what it is.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It was a dually. I just looked at mine, it's rpo R05.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
What is the code before G52? If it is F61, that is a rear stabilizer shaft. I don't know if that was available on K series trucks. I know my K30 SRW does not.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Lol its alot easier to google when you know what the rpo code is poped roght up then. I looked before i posted and after you said there was a code for it. Its odd it was a dually it didnt even have the upper overloads on it. It was a cab and chassis truck now that i think about it i wonder if that automatically ment dually. And i would have say that is f61 craig it was a "k" truck so i guess they did get them atleast with the dual wheels. I would have thought it would have had the end links hanging off the frame still they cut the axles out with a torch but no end links and it didnt come with the extra plates to hold the sway bar on. It did come with the ubolts and the ubolt plates though. Could be it was taken off before the axle was pulled out. Who knows. Now i just need to deside if a sway bar and upper overloads are neccessary and can be made to work with a shackle flip and 2 inch block

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Depends on what you do. A sway bar would be nice with a slide in camper. If you haul wood or gravel, the overloads come in handy.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Depends on what you do. A sway bar would be nice with a slide in camper. If you haul wood or gravel, the overloads come in handy.
I want it to be set up to handle whatever i throw at it but mostly just be a dd. I have the most of the stuff to put a sway bar and the overloads on it. Will they still function with a lift i guess is what i want to know. Im assuming the overloads will it just might take more weight for them to touch the brackets with a shackle flip right? And i dont have a clue about the sway bar really working or not

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The overload brackets will need positioned lower for anything other than a block lift.

Couldn't say about the sway bar. I think mine had one originally, but it's gone.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The overload brackets will need positioned lower for anything other than a block lift.

Couldn't say about the sway bar. I think mine had one originally, but it's gone.
Ok well we will cross that bridge when we get there then

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If you will haul heavy loads regularly or tall loads like a 5th wheel, I'd add the sway bar. With regards to the overload, if you add the flip kit, it may be easier to have the spring re-arched instead of moving the brackets lower. You could also add a larger spacer ("lift block") between the overload and the main spring pack. I just had my springs rebuilt and the center pin holds all of that together.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
If you will haul heavy loads regularly or tall loads like a 5th wheel, I'd add the sway bar. With regards to the overload, if you add the flip kit, it may be easier to have the spring re-arched instead of moving the brackets lower. You could also add a larger spacer ("lift block") between the overload and the main spring pack. I just had my springs rebuilt and the center pin holds all of that together.

That seems like a reasonable idea never thought of putting a bigger block in up there. Do your overload brackets (dont know what the proper name is) have a brace on the back side? they look like they are hanging off there a bit. The 2 wheel drive i took mine off of they were mounted higher on the frame since the spring brackets are shorter.

Did i miss it or are you still waiting to get your truck back?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
On my truck there is an L bracket that mounts to the lower section of the pad mount and the bottom of the frame.

NO you didn't miss it, I don't have my truck back yet. The shop owner got hit by a snow plow about 4 weeks ago and just got out of the hospital. His son is the mechanic doing the engine on my truck and is having to cover more of the day to day work, so it's on the back burner. At this point, they only have the front accessories off the engine and the radiator out. Frustrating, but when I had my '80 3+3, that was at the paint shop for 6 months. I'm patient.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wow glad hes ok that could have been pretty bad! Hopefully things get back to normal and get moving on it soon!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Just curious, can you flip the pads and gain a closer fit? Maybe drill the pads and add a rubber snubber? Just an idea

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara