Dually crew cab exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kfactor239

Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Ok I have an 86 dually crew cab long bed with a 454. The factory tube manifolds (dare i say headers??) well anyway they are cracked. It still has both air pumps and tubes connected. On one side of the exhaust (or what is left of it) is rusted off behind the muffler no tailpipe at all. The other side is still together but is pretty rusty. On the drivers side it still has a heat riser but I dont believe it works. I would like to just pull all this off and put some headers and dual exhaust on it however Ive looked around and there isn't much out there. Could someone steer me in the right direction? The truck is in pretty good shape the engine is in good shape all stock. I plan on pulling my racecar with it right now I just have a 18ft open trailer but I want to get a 44' gooseneck/fifth wheel with living quarters.

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
what exactly are you looking for? all you should really need is a new set of headers, some pipe, mufflers of choice (if you want to utilize mufflers at all) and you should be good to go. As far as the heat riser goes, since your in Oklahoma I don't know that I would worry about it too much. Same goes for the air pumps and hoses unless they need to be in place for emissions testing... This is just my opinion though.

kfactor239

Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I was looking for an exhaust kit for headers. Do you know of any that will fit? Should I just buy a build your own exhaust kit? How much would it cost to have an exhaust done at an exhaust shop? Should I go with 2.5 or 3"? I just want enough towing power to pull my trailer uphill at 70mph. Also 1 of the air pumps is run by my alternator belt. Would anybody know what the gates part number is for the shorter belt?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was looking for an exhaust kit for headers. Do you know of any that will fit? Should I just buy a build your own exhaust kit? How much would it cost to have an exhaust done at an exhaust shop? Should I go with 2.5 or 3"? I just want enough towing power to pull my trailer uphill at 70mph. Also 1 of the air pumps is run by my alternator belt. Would anybody know what the gates part number is for the shorter belt?

Mine has long tube headers, 3 inch headpipes with a crossover tube, then out of the mufflers, the tailpipes are 2.5 inches. The PO had an exhaust shop custom bend it. It seems to work very well.

I'll dig around, I've posted the belt # a couple times before.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
If your cam starts at say... 3000rpm you will want 3" exhaust pipes.
2.5 is enough, but verify the mufflers don't step down any smaller (internally).
3" is more $$ and sounds better!

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size

Ahh, I gotcha now. I just had my exhaust redone on my 86 gmc. I had them run 3" from the collectors to the mufflers, then 2.5" out the back. I'm not set up with a bender and my welding skills aren't real great, plus, I just flat out don't have the time it takes to do that project myself so I hired it out. I provided the mufflers, and the shop provided the tips, all total I think it cost me around $350. Now this is up here in ND in oil country so naturally everything is gonna be more expensive. I went with super 10 mufflers, and they are about $75 each. Just a word of warning, they are loud as hell. I will be cutting them off and going with a set of Hushpower HP-2 on my truck when I have time. I will also be adding a crossover pipe as well

@bucket where did you put your crossover pipe at? I'm wanting to add one before I chop off the super 10's to see if it will help get rid of a bit of the cackle in my exhaust.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ahh, I gotcha now. I just had my exhaust redone on my 86 gmc. I had them run 3" from the collectors to the mufflers, then 2.5" out the back. I'm not set up with a bender and my welding skills aren't real great, plus, I just flat out don't have the time it takes to do that project myself so I hired it out. I provided the mufflers, and the shop provided the tips, all total I think it cost me around $350. Now this is up here in ND in oil country so naturally everything is gonna be more expensive. I went with super 10 mufflers, and they are about $75 each. Just a word of warning, they are loud as hell. I will be cutting them off and going with a set of Hushpower HP-2 on my truck when I have time. I will also be adding a crossover pipe as well

@bucket where did you put your crossover pipe at? I'm wanting to add one before I chop off the super 10's to see if it will help get rid of a bit of the cackle in my exhaust.
44s sound good too and a bit quieter then 10s, 50s are even quieter and you still get the purr of a Flowmaster.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I ran Delta Flow 50's and crossover on my dually, no drone in the truck but still had the good sound at idle and when you hammered it..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

IIRC, it's right under the tail housing of the t-case. The mufflers are flowmaster 40's. It's deep and rumbly with no cackle at all. I've been told the truck is loud from outside, but the pipes exit all the way back under the bumper and it's fairly quiet in the cab. It's very easy to hold a conversation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117