Dual fuel tank issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morko

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have an 82 GMC Sierra Classic, dual fuel tanks. Left tank feeds fine and guage works normal BUT when i switch to the right tank, the guage needle pins past full and i get no fuel flow. Just wondering how to diagnose this.. Bad ground causing both issues? Something wrong with the selector valve? Any insight much appreciated. Thanks!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It could be coincidence that both went bad at the same time, and sure it could be bad grounds being that is a common problem. But it could also be a bad switch on the dash too. You are aware you're supposed to hold the switch into the new position for a couple of seconds right?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The older ones are wired differently and just have a basic rocker switch that doesn't have any special tricks. I'm not sure when those went away though.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I pulled the selector switch and valve from a mid eighties truck and used it on my '75, so I probably have the same setup as your '82.

Do you have a rocker switch in the dash that just clicks in either direction and holds (which I have), or does it have the word "depress" so that it pushes down and then returns? My switch just clicks in either direction (simple rocker switch).

Assuming that the left side tank is your primary (on my older truck the right side was primary)
There are 6 terminals on the back of the switch and it is split into two sections. One half has the middle terminal connected to power and the other half has the middle terminal connected to the gauge.
Switch to left side tank -
-- middle gauge terminal connects to wire running to left tank
-- middle power terminal is open (no power to solenoid), which means you are now on the primary tank

Switch to right side tank -
--middle gauge terminal connected to wire running to right tank
-- middle power terminal connected to solenoid - powers the solenoid and switches to other tank

If the tank fuel feed does not switch, its a solenoid problem. You need to check for 12 volts on/off at the terminal that pushed onto the solenoid. You also need to plug it back in and listen to verify that the solenoid is operating.
If the gauge reading does not switch, its a problem with the wire running from the switch to that tank.

There is more wiring than you would expect to the sending units because it is a universal loom that allows for either dual or single tanks on the assembly line.

Bruce

pearlmoto

Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.7L
My truck did the exact same thing. It was the selector valve. Pain in the ass to change. Replace the switch when you do the valve, it's only $10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL