dropped spindles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
dropped spindles vs. cut springs for approx 2" drop

I was going to buy some McGaughy 2.5" dropped spindles, but read about quality and customer support problems on this and other truck websites. And then there's the issue of my 8" rally wheels hitting the tie rod ends.

So, is there one brand of dropped spindles that works well, even with 8" rally wheels?

If not, is using 2" drop springs (instead of dropped spindles) going to create any problems, other than requiring an alignment?

How about simply cutting a coil off a stock spring? A Moog spring costs less than half as much as a dropped spring. But will it be too stiff when cut?

I also plan to install hangers to get 2" drop in the back. Overall, I'm looking for just little drop with a slight forward rake.

My truck is an 82 C10 short bed with 1" thick rotors.

Last edited:

SkinnyG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
G
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
350/TH350
I have BellTech 3" spindles and 8" rally wheels. The control arms required some minor grinding to clear - just don't get greedy.

I also cut 1-3/4 coils off 1-ton springs.

Mind you - 3" spindles will have the control arm hanging below a 15" wheel, which has its own set of risks.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have the McGaughy's 2.5 drop spindles and 3 inch drop coils. The original owner had the oem rally wheels installed when i bought the truck. He definately had lower control arm clearance issues. His "fix" was to gring of a small portion of the lower control arm for clearance. When I took over the buikd...I ditched the rally wheels...sold them on craigslist.org and put the money towards the set of 20" wheels that are currently on the truck. If you only want a small amount of drop and rake look...stick with cutting a coil, stock spindle and drop shackle out back. If you want the rally look, then consider buying aftermarket rally wheels that have enough offset to run drop spindles and springs. Vendors such as classic industries out of California sell rally wheels. I believe American Racing also has a rally version as well.

BTW. I corrected the hacked lower control arms by welding in reinforcement gussets. I haven't had any issues with McGaughy's when it came to inquiries or quality. Im lucky...there's a mcgaughys shop less than 2 miles away from my house. Bell tech, air bag it...etc. all manufacture their spindles in China. Im sure mcgaughys does too due to cost. I dont even think Western Chassis has a foundry in the U.S. you will need to specify the thickness of the brakes when ordering the spindles to insure you get the correct pair. I ordered from McGaughy's as they know what is required since they build their trucks down the street from my place. Like I said before...I haven't had any fitment issues and they are always glad to help me with my questions. We have been discussing the next phase of my build....body drop.

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I If you want the rally look, then consider buying aftermarket rally wheels that have enough offset to run drop spindles and springs. Vendors such as classic industries out of California sell rally wheels. I believe American Racing also has a rally version as well.

Haven't been able to find any 7" rally wheels, stock or aftermarket. Lots a 6.5" van wheels available, but they have 4" backspacing, which is almost as much as the 8" rallys with 4.25". Wouldn't mind having some 7" 5-spoke Torq Thrust style wheels with approx 3-3/4" BS, but really don't want to spend the money. However, selling my my 8" rallys might pay for half the cost. Seems like they are becoming worth more every year.

I may start with cutting a coil out of my existing springs, or maybe new $60 Moog springs. And if I have fender clearance issues with my 255/70x15 tires, I'll just have to bite the bullet and get some 235s. Also may have to get some shorter shocks. ??? Wouldn't you know I recently installed new KYBs front and rear. :(

Still like the idea of lowering with a dropped spindle, but it sounds like they'd work best with 17" or larger wheels.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Haven't been able to find any 7" rally wheels, stock or aftermarket. Lots a 6.5" van wheels available, but they have 4" backspacing, which is almost as much as the 8" rallys with 4.25". Wouldn't mind having some 7" 5-spoke Torq Thrust style wheels with approx 3-3/4" BS, but really don't want to spend the money. However, selling my my 8" rallys might pay for half the cost. Seems like they are becoming worth more every year.

I may start with cutting a coil out of my existing springs, or maybe new $60 Moog springs. And if I have fender clearance issues with my 255/70x15 tires, I'll just have to bite the bullet and get some 235s. Also may have to get some shorter shocks. ??? Wouldn't you know I recently installed new KYBs front and rear. :(

Still like the idea of lowering with a dropped spindle, but it sounds like they'd work best with 17" or larger wheels.

any updates on this?

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
any updates on this?
The only truck 7" rally wheels I could find were expensive and in terrible condition. Turns out the father of a guy I know has a ton of square body parts, but he doesn't have a single 7" rally wheel.

I was hot to go on lowering the truck a few months ago, but now I'm not in any rush. I am starting to buy tie rods ends and ball joints, so may just install drop springs while it's all apart.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
The only truck 7" rally wheels I could find were expensive and in terrible condition. Turns out the father of a guy I know has a ton of square body parts, but he doesn't have a single 7" rally wheel.

I was hot to go on lowering the truck a few months ago, but now I'm not in any rush. I am starting to buy tie rods ends and ball joints, so may just install drop springs while it's all apart.

Well I'm going with 6.5 rallies up front and 8 in the rear. I'll gladly give you any of my rallies if you're wanting a 7. I'd have to double check my stock rally wheels but pretty sure they're 7 not 8.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Air powered cut off wheel with the stock spring in a bucket of water is the way to go. :imo:

Drop spindles are for cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmattly