Driveshaft pulled out of tranny with flip kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
As the title says, the drive shaft pulled out of the tailhousing and tranny fluid went everywhere. What would cause this? Axle sitting on the leaf springs too far back? It does look good though.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I’m done working on it today, but to test that theory I’m going to jack it back up again and see it raising it makes the yoke slide back In

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Nice looking short bed!

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is that normal, I did some digging online and it was saying the yoke should be withdrawn about an inch. It shouldn’t be butted up against the tranny. So is the picture of my yoke ok then?

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I have heard of this. Lowering a truck is just the opposite issue I have with raising my trucks. The lower you go, the further the yoke will pull out. On my K30 it has a slip yoke out of the transfer case. The transmission shop said there should be a total of an 1 1/2" of movement on my yoke.

You don't want the yoke up against the transmission when it is sitting static because in your case, if the suspension droops, the drive shaft will force itself into the transmission causing damage.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
What you really need to do is check some of the websites for custom driveshafts and use their instructions for measuring for a new driveshaft and use that info to compare to your current one and then see how far off your lengths are. Looking at a picture of how far your short your shaft is (no pun intended) is not going to really help you in this case because it can't account for the amount of suspension travel you may have. Did you change anything with your transmission or just do lowering springs?

84 Shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I took it out today for a drive, transmission shifts better now with a little play in the yoke. Before it was butted it and it would throw hard in reverse, now there is no issues. No leaks, drives good so I’m going to leave it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK