Door Parts Interchangeability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ceejay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CeeJay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Prepare to be as confused as I am. So on my 81 C10, on the driver's side, is a 75 door. On the passenger side is the original 81 door. The door panels I'm installing are from 77-80. These door panels should work on my passenger door, but to my understanding, the window crank shaft is shorter in the 75 door and the glass is thinner than the 81. Since I still have my original driver's side 81 door, can I swap the regulator and glass into the 75 door on there now? If that's the case, I should be able to use the door panels on the 75 door after swapping the regular and glass.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Prepare to be as confused as I am. So on my 81 C10, on the driver's side, is a 75 door. On the passenger side is the original 81 door. The door panels I'm installing are from 77-80. These door panels should work on my passenger door, but to my understanding, the window crank shaft is shorter in the 75 door and the glass is thinner than the 81. Since I still have my original driver's side 81 door, can I swap the regulator and glass into the 75 door on there now? If that's the case, I should be able to use the door panels on the 75 door after swapping the regular and glass.
The doors are pretty interchangeable. The '75 door uses a different door panel, but you could fit a newer one over it with no problems (you just need to find a way to mount it).

I'd change the regulator out since the crank might not reach (they are totally interchangeable).

I used to have one door off a '73 and one off a '91, and all the components went together fine (I currently have '74 glass, on a '91 window regulator in a '73 door).

ceejay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CeeJay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The doors are pretty interchangeable. The '75 door uses a different door panel, but you could fit a newer one over it with no problems (you just need to find a way to mount it).

I'd change the regulator out since the crank might not reach (they are totally interchangeable).

I used to have one door off a '73 and one off a '91, and all the components went together fine (I currently have '74 glass, on a '91 window regulator in a '73 door).
So if I swap out the 81 regulator into the 75 door, would I use the 81 or 75 glass?

Sent from my OnePlus 7T using Tapatalk

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
So if I swap out the 81 regulator into the 75 door, would I use the 81 or 75 glass?

Your choice, I'd use the '81.

ceejay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CeeJay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Your choice, I'd use the '81.
Cool, so I'll probably use the 81 glass because it's thicker. So I guess when I purchase the belt line weather strip, it needs to be the 81 one? Since I'm going to use the 81 window?

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Cool, so I'll probably use the 81 glass because it's thicker. So I guess when I purchase the belt line weather strip, it needs to be the 81 one? Since I'm going to use the 81 window?

Yes

ceejay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CeeJay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for all your help buddy. Maybe I'll try to post pictures once I'm done with my attempt at this frankendoor. [emoji16]

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
glass window is same all years 73 91 73-6 is small door panel door shells early design with short crank shafts.

77-80 is same as 81-up just different door pullhandle and panels design, but same size and fitment..

i cant verify if you can MAKE a 77-80 or 81-91 panel fit and work on a 73-76 shell and swp regs.. i really dont see how that could totally work but maybe it can ? because attachment methods are different and in wrong places too, after 76... 77-up shells should be pretty common to find still(not here in the road salt belt though)... if you cant find a good 73-76 one to match the other.. i have a 75 and its still stock original everything and the shells are rusted out trash and i would neverrr find decent early shells for it... no way no how around here.. meanwhile up north in MN and dakota and such billions of them are being junked.. its sad... i hate some ppl.. i need to move... they have no idea how lucky they are and just trashing all the nice trucks.... 3/4 and 1 tons and special package and options ones... wow.. insane.. tons of 73-76 ones i see posted all the time being parted wasted... up there... :(

Last edited:

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
glass window is same all years 73 91 73-6 is small door panel door shells early design with short crank shafts.

77-80 is same as 81-up just different door pullhandle and panels design, but same size and fitment..

i cant verify if you can MAKE a 77-80 or 81-91 panel fit and work on a 73-76 shell and swp regs.. i really dont see how that could totally work but maybe it can ? because attachment methods are different and in wrong places too, after 76... 77-up shells should be pretty common to find still(not here in the road salt belt though)... if you cant find a good 73-76 one to match the other.. i have a 75 and its still stock original everything and the shells are rusted out trash and i would neverrr find decent early shells for it... no way no how around here.. meanwhile up north in MN and dakota and such billions of them are being junked.. its sad... i hate some ppl.. i need to move... they have no idea how lucky they are and just trashing all the nice trucks.... 3/4 and 1 tons and special package and options ones... wow.. insane.. tons of 73-76 ones i see posted all the time being parted wasted... up there... :(

The newer handle does bolt to the older door, and the screws/armrest bolts line up as well, so your only issue would be the fact that there are no plastic **** to secure the edges, so he could use some weatherstripping glue to do that, and nobody will be any the wiser.
(As you can see, I got a '91 handle bolted on a 73-75 door).
You must be registered for see images attach

(Same door with the '91 window track and '74 glass).

ceejay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
CeeJay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The newer handle does bolt to the older door, and the screws/armrest bolts line up as well, so your only issue would be the fact that there are no plastic **** to secure the edges, so he could use some weatherstripping glue to do that, and nobody will be any the wiser.
(As you can see, I got a '91 handle bolted on a 73-75 door).

(Same door with the '91 window track and '74 glass).
I'm wondering, will I have holes to fill on the bottom on my 81 door using the 78-80 panels?

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I'm wondering, will I have holes to fill on the bottom on my 81 door using the 78-80 panels?

No you shouldn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76