do i have to separate the ball joints??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
No need to pop the ball joints to take out the springs, with the front on jack stands use a floor jack under the lower control arm and lift it up, undo the upper control arm off the frame(make note of the shims)and swing the whole thing around, then lower the floor jack and take the spring out, may need a compressor with stock length springs unless they are sagging bad.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
No need to pop the ball joints to take out the springs, with the front on jack stands use a floor jack under the lower control arm and lift it up, undo the upper control arm off the frame(make note of the shims)and swing the whole thing around, then lower the floor jack and take the spring out, may need a compressor with stock length springs unless they are sagging bad.
Yes it can be done like that but drop a shim put it in the wrong spot and your playing the alignment game. I'd just pop the ball joint and pretty much the same way you described. 6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of another. Niether are wrong just different.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes it can be done like that but drop a shim put it in the wrong spot and your playing the alignment game. I'd just pop the ball joint and pretty much the same way you described. 6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of another. Niether are wrong just different.
That's why I said make note of shims,lol, :D But really don't matter anyways, if you change springs it's all out the window and will need to be aligned again anyways, and alignment is no biggie to do, it's actually fun really, lol.... But you are right both ways work does the same thing..

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
That's why I said make note of shims,lol, :D But really don't matter anyways, if you change springs it's all out the window and will need to be aligned again anyways, and alignment is no biggie to do, it's actually fun really, lol.... But you are right both ways work does the same thing..
Ive never done alignment, always made the local garage do it.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Do it once and you'll never throw money away at alignment shops that don't have a clue again, it's not like the old days all these guys today know is what's on the computer, most don't even understand how the **** works(Like going to the Zone)and you don't need a rack, buy the tool and the alignment pays for it the first time.:waytogo:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Do it once and you'll never throw money away at alignment shops that don't have a clue again, it's not like the old days all these guys today know is what's on the computer, most don't even understand how the **** works(Like going to the Zone)and you don't need a rack, buy the tool and the alignment pays for it the first time.:waytogo:
There are a few old school shops around here that don't have the computerized stuff...that's what I know tho. I'll set toe but after that it goes to the appropriate shop depending what it is.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There are a few old school shops around here that don't have the computerized stuff...that's what I know tho. I'll set toe but after that it goes to the appropriate shop depending what it is.
You're lucky to have old school shops close by.:waytogo:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You're lucky to have old school shops close by.:waytogo:
Yeah but I've learned not to take a loweredAudi Quattro to an old school shop with 4 link front suspension and adjustable upper control arms lol it wasn't pretty when he started turning stuff.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah but I've learned not to take a loweredAudi Quattro to an old school shop with 4 link front suspension and adjustable upper control arms lol it wasn't pretty when he started turning stuff.
You need to take it to a foreign type shop. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg