DIS Set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've been thinking about updating my ignition system to a new set up. I am thinking of doing a DIS set up. I can plug the hole for the distributor and get a pick up from MSD to fire the coils. I was just wondering what y'all think about a set up like that. I do play to Fuel inject my truck too. It kinda sounds like a prototype to a new 305 don't it lol. SDS has a system that can run the whole system too. Pretty much get the intake and all the sensors and use the crank pick up and should be good. Of course run fuel lines for the EFI. Also I would like to run a blower too.

Anyways right now I want to get new heads on my truck and put in ARP head studs. I might take my block apart again and put in forged rods and pistons but I don't know yet. I will probably be running about 8 psi. I just don't think a 305 could take a whole lot of boost. Turbos are nice but with this truck I think a blower would better. I could run a supercharger but I don't know if it would fit in my engine bay. Like how much room would I have on the drivers side? With a supercharger it would be self contained oiling system. Pro charger of course. Blower would be by Weiand. I just need to get better flowing heads and efi first then start the DIS set up. Go from there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can't just plug the dizzy hole, you at least need the lower half of the dizzy so the cam can drive the oil pump. The dizzy housing is also needed to stop a major internal oil pressure loss in the block.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You can't just plug the dizzy hole, you at least need the lower half of the dizzy so the cam can drive the oil pump. The dizzy housing is also needed to stop a major internal oil pressure loss in the block.

Can use a vortec dizzy....drives the earl pump, and doubles as the cam sensor. There is a terminal-less cap that i remember seeing somwhere. I personally would get all the electronics from an LS1, and crank reluctor and timing cover from a vortec. that way its ALL GM.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Oh, and if you do that, watch the firing order difference between LS and SBC...will have to repin injectors and coils...no biggy.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You do know they make a plug for it right? I know the cam needs to drive the oil pump and that plug has that. They use it for the front drive dizzys in racing. It was all a thought though. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-29003/overview/ Thanks for the other information though. I might just have to get another 305 and R&D it. Trial and error is the best way to learn.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You do know they make a plug for it right? I know the cam needs to drive the oil pump and that plug has that. They use it for the front drive dizzys in racing. It was all a thought though. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-29003/overview/ Thanks for the other information though. I might just have to get another 305 and R&D it. Trial and error is the best way to learn.

Yeah, but for DIS, you need a cam sensor, and the dist drive type is the only way to go on an SBC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito