Did my truck come this way??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Hoping to watch the pats spank the vikings at their home field.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Hoping to watch the pats spank the vikings at their home field.
No I think Brady has a bug in his ******, the pats should be up by 3 TDs by now. ( I’m originally from Massachusetts so :bleh:) lol just so the Feacles lose.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I was being serious. It was a stellar post and the other one I commented on was indeed top notch.

Thank you as well.

But maybe similar to you, I am frequently misunderstood. But for me it's because I have the driest sense of humor of anyone I know.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Thank you as well.

But maybe similar to you, I am frequently misunderstood. But for me it's because I have the driest sense of humor of anyone I know.
It’s all good. I’m not always sarcastic. Lol

Boltrunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
No I think Brady has a bug in his ******, the pats should be up by 3 TDs by now. ( I’m originally from Massachusetts so :bleh:) lol just so the Feacles lose.
Ri born and raised here. At least they made a good comeback. I was seceretly hoping the vikings would win too so i could watch every one around here cry when the pats beat them at home for the bowl.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
I had my original 1976 Custom Deluxe K10 Ziebarted. They drilled 3 holes in the roof to insert spray heads to spay the roof panels with the Ziebart rustproofing product. In my truck the 3 holes were drilled behind the visor and in the back above the window. Check to see if the plugs have the Ziebart trademark.

Raybo135

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Raymond
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
This is what the Ziebart Logo looks like.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Here is something I found a few years ago:

73-87 Differences

This is a page explaining some of the differences between the 73-87 GM light duty truck, Blazer, Jimmy, and Suburban model line. This information may be helpful when identifying a particular model or part, and it will also aid in any "will this fit my truck" questions you might have running through your head. If you happen to know something that isn't already included on this list, feel free to contact me so it can be added. Thank you.

1973 was the first year of the new body style for the GM truck line. The new body style featured sculptured sides, squared-off wheel openings, 21% more glass area (with enclosed antenna), and a roomier cab with flow thru ventilation. The frame rail thickness was increased, the gas tank was moved out of the cab to the right-side frame rail, and a new energy absorbing steering shaft was added. Suspension wise, the wheelbase increased (2.5 inches for swb and 4.5 inches for lwb), front spring rates were reduced, a front stabilizer bar was added to improve ride and handling, front disc brakes were now standard, and the rear shock absorbers were staggered to reduce axle hop. New to the lineup was a factory crew cab (3+3) dooley, and a four door Suburban (67-72's were three door). Engine wise, 1973 was the last year for the 307 V8 and the 454 now replaced the 402.

Not too much changed in '74, but above the door rain gutters were now available. Full-time 4WD was introduced to the pickup line when the NP203 transfer case was made available in V-8 models. 1974 was also the last year for the recessed "egg crate" grill, making the '73 & '74 grills unique to these two years. GMC was also the official truck of the Indianapolis 500 in 1974...as well as in 1975, '76, '77, '80, '81, '83, '84, and '85.

In 1975, GM changed its model line around a little. Custom line is dropped and Custom Deluxe becomes base model. Cheyenne Super is replaced by Silverado as top trim level. Upper trim levels receive brushed aluminum panels on tailgate. Scottsdale line is also added to the 1975 line-up. On the interior, the windshield wiper switch location is no longer back lit like the '73 & '74 models were, not to mention the switch itself is in a slightly different location, thus making the '75 and up dash bezels slightly different. Rain gutters are now standard equipment on all models as is the new quick release tailgate for the fleetside models...and a new folding seatback option is now available. C20 model was made available in a 4 door model minus rear seats. HEI ignition becomes standard equipment, catalytic converters were also made standard equipment on all trucks under 6,001 gross vehicle weight (GVW). 400 small block is available in 4x4 models, and changes to the grille make it flush to the front and give it three horizontal bars. 1975 is also the last year for the full convertible top Blazer and Jimmy as well as the last year engine displacement badges were used on the grills.

New Zinc rich primer is added to aid rust prevention. Deluxe chrome bumpers with rubber impact strips are a new option. Rally wheels and a Sport model are now also offered as options. "Bonanza" trim package introduced and marketed as a "value" for customers, as three levels are available (YG6, YG7, YG8). 1976 was also the first year that white was not the only option for a secondary color on two-tone equipped models. Last year for Chevrolet Orange engines. The Blazer gets a slightly new body design with metal roof over front seats and fiberglass over the rear, which is still removable like previous years. Instrument cluster wise, a new "volt" gauge replaced the previous "amp" gauge.

1977 was the first year power windows and door locks were offered as well as intermittent wipers. Along with that, the inner doors, door panels, and internal door parts were different than the 73-76 models. 1977 was also a transition year for bucket seats...early production 77's had low back bucket seats while later production 77's had high back bucket seats. There was also a new grille design eliminating four of the vertical dividers and one of the horizontal, and an inside hood release was now offered. Trim wise, 1977 was the only year to have a yellow/gold stripe in the center of the side and rear moldings...however, the 1975 GMC Gentleman Jim had this trim as well. The 305 V8 was introduced along with styled (wagon) wheels without center caps. One-ton (K30) models were introduced to the line-up, and with them Bonus Cab and Crew Cab models. Finally, an optional rear defroster was also offered.

The most notable change in 1978 was the offering of a 5.7 350 (22.5:1) Diesel engine in the C10 pickups. Frame changes were made to fit new catalytic converters required on California trucks, and dual-exhaust options were not available in California. On trucks with V-8s and full-time 4WD, struts were incorporated between the engine and transmission, and between the transmission and transfer case. The top trim level Silverado now gets new brushed aluminum trim while the wood grain trim is now history. A new gas filler door was added, replacing the flush mounted gas cap. The Blazers and Jimmys now had a recessed floor for the rear passengers increasing leg room, and the rear seat now folded down for quicker and easier load carrying tasks. Electrically, sometime during the '78 model run, the glass fuse box was replaced with the now common spade type fuses. 1,317,466 trucks sold this year setting a new record. Chevrolet was also the official truck of the Indianapolis 500 in 1978...as well as in 1982 & 1986. Overall, GM trucks were the official truck of the Indy 500 twelve times during the 73-87 model run.

GM begins making changes to the front end by combining headlight bezels and turn signals, a new apron is added below the grille, a decorative ridge was added to the leading edge of the hood, and new paint schemes were available. Catalytic converters are now standard on all trucks with GVW up to 8,500 pounds.

1980 was a slightly odd year. Rectangular headlights were now included on the Silverado models, while the rest still received 1979 style round headlights. New "egg crate" grille, below eye line mirrors, 8-track and cassette options, and cast aluminum wheels. Dual exhaust was also offered on the 292 six-cylinders. The NP203 transfer case was discontinued. All K-series trucks were outfitted with part-time NP205s. The 400ci V-8 was no longer available in K10s. The K20 series was aligned more closely with the K30 series to avoid the use of catalytic converters in 8,600-pound GVWR models. Fuel prices were rising and that negatively impacted truck sales.

Complete re-styling of the front end debuted in 1981. The re-styling of the trucks boasted a weight reduction of up to 300 pounds. With the new grill design, the trucks came equipped with: quadruple headlights (however, two were still being offered), horizontal side marker lights, new bumpers, and a slightly different tailgate. Front sheet metal remained the same through 1987. The interior changed slightly with a new dashed shape, seats, instrument panel, and sill plates. There were many power train changes, and included was the introduction of the NP208 transfer case for K10 and K20 trucks; the inclusion of automatic locking hubs and quad shocks on all K-trucks; the discontinuation of the 400ci V-8; the introduction of the 454ci big-block to the K-series line; and the introduction of two 305ci V-8s—a 49-state version and a California-only version. This brought the total number of engines available on K-trucks to eight. The fuel tank was moved to the driver-side frame rail. 1981 was also the last year for the 12 bolt differential, replacing it was the 10 bolt.

New features became standard equipment on the 1982 trucks. Chevrolet standardized the chrome grille on all trucks as well as the front bumper. Transfer case gears in the K30 trucks were now synchronized, allowing shifts to 4-Hi at speeds under 25 mph and power steering is now standard on all K-series trucks. Chevrolet introduces the 6.2 litre GM Diesel with automatic overdrive transmission (700R4), and the 305 (5.0) 2 barrel was now discontinued. On all 20 and 30 series trucks, 16 inch wheels are now used instead of the 16.5 inchers. Cheyenne model is dropped from the lineup. Sadly, 1982 was also the last year the 2 wheel drive Blazer could be had from GM as well as the soft top option. Chevrolet became number one in truck sales in 1982.

Chevrolet continued making cosmetic changes to the C/K line. Turn signals were moved from the bumper to behind the grille. Chevrolet also offered the automatic 700R4 transmission as an option.

For 1984, the quadruple headlights were now made optional. Interior received changes to the wiper controls and the integration of the high beam lights and cruise control being moved to turn signal stalk. The 4.3L (262ci) V-6 replaced the 250ci inline six as the standard K10 engine. Chevrolet sold 30,000 K-series trucks and 23,000 Blazers to the U.S. Army.

GM's most notable change this year was the introduction the Vortec V6 with a 4-barrel carburetor. The grill was once again changed and Chevrolet added the "Custom Two-Tone" paint option.

There were no major changes to the trucks’ functionality or design.

GM changes name designation on the C/K line of pickups. The previous 4x2 C series is changed to the R series, and the 4x4 K series is changed to the V series. Chevrolet also introduces TBI equipped engines and computer ignition controls (although carburetors were still available in some models). 1987 was also the last year for the "stepside" bed, starting in 1988 GM refers to it as a "sportside". The end of a 15 year run for the rounded line C/K pickups, however, the rounded line body style remained until 1991 on Blazers, Suburbans, and one-ton trucks.

1988There were no major changes to the Blazers, Suburbans, or crew cab's functionality or design.

1989In 1989, the Blazers, Suburbans, and crew cabs got a makeover, with the changes consisting of a new grill treatment to try and make them look like GM new body style of trucks. They also received the new 4 spoke steering wheel and the Suburban received an optional overhead console. Also new for the '89 models were 30 spline front and rear axles.

1990The only new changes for 1990 was the addition of a power mirror option for the Blazers and Suburbans as well as the replacement of the 208 transfer case with the 241.

1991In 1991, the 3/4 ton crew cabs, Suburbans, and one ton trucks received the 4l80 transmission.

And this on the various trim levels:

1973-1974

Base model - Chevy Custom/GMC Custom Z62 - Chevy Custom Deluxe/GMC Super Custom Z84 - Chevy Cheyenne/GMC Sierra YE9 - Chevy Cheyenne Super/GMC Sierra Grande

1975-1981

Base model - Chevy Custom Deluxe/GMC Sierra Z62 - Chevy Scottsdale/GMC Sierra Grande Z84 - Chevy Cheyenne/GMC High Sierra YE9 - Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Classic

1982-1987

Base model - Chevy Custom Deluxe/GMC Sierra Z62 - Chevy Scottsdale/GMC High Sierra (Note this change) Z84 - Discontinued YE9 - Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra Classic

Here is a basic explanation of the trim levels.

For 1973 to 1987 the trim level option codes for Chevy and GMC regular cab pickups followed this very general outline. They were:

Base trim (No option code)

Trim theme: Minimal chrome trim on the outside. Inside, you will find a black rubber floor mat (no carpeting), and a basic vinyl upholstery (occasionally custom or deluxe cloth was found as an extra cost option from '82 onward). Door trim panels with basic vinyl finish, minimal insulation, a basic black bezeled instrument panel with idiot lights rather than gauges, and no headliner were part of the trim.

Lower intermediate trim (Option code Z62)

Trim theme: This trim was a minor upgrade of the base trim described above. A little more chrome dressed up the outside. Inside, the most significant upgrades involved the use of a color keyed floor mat (vs. the basic black noted above, with carpeting only in very special cases) and a choice of "custom cloth" or "custom vinyl" upholstery. These two seat upholstery choices were shared with the higher level (Z84 and YE9) trim packages mentioned below. Interestingly, other woven/striped vinyl upholstery selections were exclusively available on this trim level in various years and included carpeting to replace the usual color keyed vinyl mat. Also, there was a little more floor insulation, and the door panels differed only slightly from base with very minimal wood grain or chrome molding additions. Still, no headliner.

Upper intermediate luxury trim (Option code Z84)

Trim theme: This was a truly a luxury level trim and was only a very small notch below the top-of-the-line option. It represented the greatest price jump between levels, and in most years, appeared almost identical to the YE9 trim noted below. In all years, a more deluxe molding package, along with a tailgate insert for Fleetsides, was included. Inside, many major additions to the Z62 level were found, including cut-pile carpeting, and insulated full headliner, and door trim panels with large wood grain or brushed aluminum door appliqués. The door panels also had map pockets. Special hood and cab-to-fender insulators were also found here. Because of the near redundancy of this trim with respect to the YE9 level below, I suspect, option Z84 was discontinued after the 1981 model year.

Top of the line luxury trim (Option code YE9)

Trim theme: A few minor additional exterior moldings complemented those included with the Z84 trim. The most significant outside difference was the inclusion of the V22 Chrome grill/Deluxe front appearance package as standard with this trim starting with the 1980 model year (this package was optional at extra cost with the other lesser trims). Inside, the YE9 level included the BC2 Deluxe instrument panel (a wood grain or brushed aluminum finish instrument cluster with full gauges replacing idiot lights) which was also optional at extra cost with the lesser trims. The headliner, floor carpeting, and insulation features were identical to those found on the Z84. Door panels were almost identical to those found on the Z84, although door pull straps and lower panel carpeting were added to those found on the YE9 after 1976. Finally, full vinyl trim covers replaced the lesser trim models abbreviated covers on the lower kick panels.

Interestingly, the Cheyenne name was resurrected for 1988 when it was assigned to the base trim level, replacing the Custom Deluxe name. GMC naming conventions changed entirely to SL, SLX, and SLE. Today Silverado/Sierra no longer refer to trim options, but instead are a model reference to the Chevy/GMC pickup line.

There were some other less common trim packages which overlapped those noted above. They included the Z77 Chevy Sport/GMC Street Coupe exterior graphics packages that exclusively used the Z62 trim interior appointments with the addition of the floor carpeting and the V22 Deluxe front appearance option, and the BC2 Deluxe instrument cluster. The Z77 option, which also included N67 Rally wheels as standard, was available only on the 1976 to 1981 Chevy/GMC short bed 1/2 ton pickups. GMC offered some other interesting limited edition models during the 1975 to 1987 time frame, but I won't get into those here.

Also offered were several Chevy Bonanza/GMC Royal Sierra option groups. They were special year-end promotional packages (analogous to Ford's old "white sale" Explorer pickup packages) with special discounted price groupings of popular appearance/convenience options. Prior to the 1980 model year, the Bonanza/Royal Sierra packages were based on the Z62 trim level with the addition of floor carpeting; after that time, the packages offered a choice of Z84 or YE9 interiors. In later years, Canadian customers wer offered similarly conceived "Wrangler" packages. The Wrangler packages included some very distinctive and exclusive paint/decal features; really neat collector's items!

Some of the trim items found in higher priced trims were optinally available in the lower level trims at extra cost. Most (but not all) of the exterior moldings found in the Z84 and YE9 packages were either available separately or as part of the various two toning paint options on the base and Z62 trims.....ditto for the popular V22 Deluxe Front Appearance option, and BC2 Deluxe Instrument Cluster. Other common appearance options included a fancy 1973 to 1981 bucket/console/carpet combination available with (essentially) all trim levels and various wheel/tire options.

I have no idea where you come up with this stuff sometimes but this is friggin AWESOME!!!!!
Is there anyway we can pin this?????
someplace?????

Last edited:

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also a couple other differences
73 had different window regulators
They had tiny rollers that didn’t work very well and the rollers were made much larger for 74 up

Also I think the 73-75 had only lap belts 76-77 had shoulder belts with the anchor on the B pillar
And 78 up had the shoulder belt anchor built into the lap belt anchor

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
My 73 has B pillar anchor nuts welded in.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 73 has B pillar anchor nuts welded in.
I’m not sure what Year’s has shoulder anchors on the B pillar

Could be 73
Also a little fuzzy on when they moved from the B to the floor

Mines a mosh mash of a bunch of different trucks with a state issued VIN riveted in the B pillar
And all numbers ground off the frame engine and trans

So we have no idea what year it is or what year which parts are from

Definitely got the 73 only doors though
And the radiator support has a vacuum house routing sticker from a 1980 straight six

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK