Did a tune up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Today I finally got around to replacing the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on my 89 350 tbi. Everything that came off looked ok except one plug. What are your guys thoughts. What caused this and how do I keep it from happening again.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Did it look like that when you pulled it out with a missing ground and center electrode? I'd check number six to make sure the valves are adjusted properly, they appear to operate correctly with no bent pushrods or off kilter rockers, and that the compression is good. What brand of plug is that? I and most others run Delco plugs and ignition parts, and I'd suggest the same for you. For good measure, I'd verify that the timing isn't too excessive. If it was, it should show up on all the plugs, but your initial setting is something that every homebrew gearhead should know about their vehicle.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I would get a compression test gauge and test all of your cylinders for compression, that plug looks like it has oil buildup from blow by. Butttt as to why the prong is missing on the spark plug I don't know, did you pull it out like that? It looks like the plug itself is pretty beat up, if that's how the plug looked when it came out, then theres only one place that chunk of metal could have ended up so. I would look inside that cylinder and see if you can see any damage, you might want to look at getting or borrowing a boroscope I think theyre called, its just a small camera with a flexible end. Hopefully inside that cylinder doesn't look like the sparkplug itself.

Did you notice anything strange? Was it running like **** or died or something? Or were you just doing routine maintenance?

x2 on the plugs. Better quality plugs would be the only way to keep that from happening again

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I would get a compression test gauge and test all of your cylinders for compression, that plug looks like it has oil buildup from blow by. Butttt as to why the prong is missing on the spark plug I don't know, did you pull it out like that? It looks like the plug itself is pretty beat up, if that's how the plug looked when it came out, then theres only one place that chunk of metal could have ended up so. I would look inside that cylinder and see if you can see any damage, you might want to look at getting or borrowing a boroscope I think theyre called, its just a small camera with a flexible end. Hopefully inside that cylinder doesn't look like the sparkplug itself.

Did you notice anything strange? Was it running like **** or died or something? Or were you just doing routine maintenance?

x2 on the plugs. Better quality plugs would be the only way to keep that from happening again

Borescope is a good idea, and I agree about looking for whatever this plug ejected into the motor. Amazon sells them for a few bucks that you can plug them into the computer.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I got one off E-Gay for $12 that plugs into my phone, has 15ft coil has a light, takes pics and videos, clear as can be...

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Do the valves for sure. One picture it looks lean the other looks tight in the exhaust. X2 on the bore scope. Although that electrode was probably chewed up and spit out already. Hopefully it didn’t chew the cylinder up.

Does it burn oil?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
You can melt a plug in a lean condition. It’s hard to tell in the picture. If it’s light brown and melted...

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
Did it look like that when you pulled it out with a missing ground and center electrode? I'd check number six to make sure the valves are adjusted properly, they appear to operate correctly with no bent pushrods or off kilter rockers, and that the compression is good. What brand of plug is that? I and most others run Delco plugs and ignition parts, and I'd suggest the same for you. For good measure, I'd verify that the timing isn't too excessive. If it was, it should show up on all the plugs, but your initial setting is something that every homebrew gearhead should know about their vehicle.
That’s what it looked like when it came out. I replaced them with ac Delhi plugs. I’m planning to check timing and compression soon.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size

That’s how the plug came out. I will have to look into a borescope to see what’s going on in there. The motor was stumbling and had no power and that’s why I decided to replace them all. I replaced these with ac delcos.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Now that I can zoom in it looks more black and sooty which I’d guess tight exhaust valve or blow by. They’ll run surprisingly well on 7 cylinders!

Last edited:

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Same everyone else said.... Leakdown check, borescope...

When checking the rockers/pushrods, try wiggling the top of the #6 springs- looking for a hammered valve guide. It sure looks like oil consumtion in that cylinder, to me. A ton of carbon there compared to the others.... That could lead to a hot spot, then detonation, blowing off that electrode. (Remote possiblity....)

Does it smoke out the exhaust at all? Pull the pcv- smoke out of the valve cover? Out the dipstick tube? Does the motor have any new/different sounds or noises?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC