Dashpad vs Cab years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So the dash pads from 73-80 are different than the pads from 81-87. My question is, is the inside of the cab different. My original cab is an '85 and I found a '73 cab in much better shape. Will my 81-87 dashpad fit in this cab? It's a new pad and I'm building for show so I want it to look right. Just asking before I pull the trigger on the cab.

I can't imagine GM having changed the interior structure but then again, the Chicago Cubs won the world series. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Shack

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I believe the pads will interchange, but GM made some slight changes to the cluster over the years, and am not sure if all the gauge surrounds will work with both pads.

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks. So far that's the general consensus. How about the pass thru for the steering column? Is that funky somewhat of a triangle hole the same on all years?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I think so. I just pulled a column from an 87 last week, and it brought back vague memories of the 79 I swapped a tilt into back in high school.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I changed the dash in my 79 to an 81-87. A couple things are different. The hole for the VIN is not the same. Only half my VIN was visible after the change. I can't recall which part stays visible. The passenger side A/C vents are different, but the 81-87 fits into the older dash no problem. The 73 steel dash has the headlight switch in a different location than 81-87's. The wiper switch was above the headlight switch. You may have to modify the dash.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The older dash also does not have any cutouts for left and right dash-mounted stereo speakers. Newer trucks had dash stereo speakers as an option, and I assume they have cutouts for the speakers in the dash and in the dash pad.

Bruce

BillyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
Not to mention, the hood hinges are also different on the older cabs and GM added an extra part to the cabs for the hoods

Shack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I ended up going with an '84 model cab that I found at a reasonable price so the hinges weren't an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK