Dash Redoing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I was fortunate that my dash was somewhat salvageable. I too filled in the holes and cracks with expanding foam, and wrapped it all with tweed fabric. The sun bakes the plastic on everything here in Az. Time will tell how long it will last, but at least it looks better than it was.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I was fortunate that my dash was somewhat salvageable. I too filled in the holes and cracks with expanding foam, and wrapped it all with tweed fabric. The sun bakes the plastic on everything here in Az. Time will tell how long it will last, but at least it looks better than it was.

Do have a pic up somewhere? I've redone door panels in tweed before, but never a dash. Trying to picture it in my head.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Here's a couple....

Last edited:

mp1977K-5

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-5 Blazer
Engine Size
Nice job.
My 1977 K-5 has it's original dash, which is just starting to show a crack.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Interesting. how did it lay around the contours for the drivers cluster? Any special seams or overlap?

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well...that part was a pita. I had to overlap the edges and contours of the gauge cluster....making sure to go slowly and smoothly. I used a high tack spray adhesive coating the backside of the fabric as well as the vinyl dashpad. I made sure to overlap the fabric over the edges so that when the cluster went back in place it covered the fabric edges. The excess fabric wraps up underneath of the dashpad. I used a heavy gage yet flexible tweed fabric to make the process as easy as possible. Total cost of materials to cover the dash and door panels.... $16for adhesive, $35 for the fabric....and 1 $5 can of expansion foam. Total time to cover the dash and doorpanels was 2 hours.

I also did my headliner too....
I did auto upholstery years ago in my mini truck days with an s-10. I did the same type of process.

Last edited:

Project79'

Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Cheyenne
Engine Size
350 sbc centerbolt heads
Well...that part was a pita. I had to overlap the edges and contours of the gauge cluster....making sure to go slowly and smoothly. I used a high tack spray adhesive coating the backside of the fabric as well as the vinyl dashpad. I made sure to overlap the fabric over the edges so that when the cluster went back in place it covered the fabric edges. The excess fabric wraps up underneath of the dashpad. I used a heavy gage yet flexible tweed fabric to make the process as easy as possible. Total cost of materials to cover the dash and door panels.... $16for adhesive, $35 for the fabric....and 1 $5 can of expansion foam. Total time to cover the dash and doorpanels was 2 hours.

I also did my headliner too....
I did auto upholstery years ago in my mini truck days with an s-10. I did the same type of process.
What color fabric is that? Really wanting to do this...

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Its a charcoal gray tweed. There were at least a dozen or so shades from light to black of this same type of tweed at my local upholstery supply shop. I chose this shade since it would conceal dust and dirt. I also used the same fabric for my door panels and bench seat. Its not very expensive material and very forgiving to work with. The tweed was around $9 per yard. I used approximately 5 yards.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Need to see some more on this. Very nice work and will probably out last the original. The tweed you're talking about is just fabric?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
what glue did you use on the tweed?

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That's what I was wondering. If it's a type of fabric you wouldn't want it to seep through. I was going to try vinyl and a heat gun but I can't see me going around the instrument cluster area and doing a good job.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
The tweed fabric is heavy like a burlap, yet flexible enough with patience and planning to contour around edges and contours. The tweed that I used has a thin backing, unlike burlap that is thick enough to hold adhesive, but if too much is sprayed it can bleed through. If adhesive does bleed through, it usually dries clear enough to not be seen. The trick to this process....spray BOTH surfaces....allow to tack up for two minutes....then apply the fabric to the dash pad while smoothing the fabric out with your hands.

I used a high tac upholstery spray adhesive (not contact adhesive). When sprayed, the adhesive comes out like a "web". Be carefull when using there will be some overspray, but it can be controlled. I sprayed the dash surface and the back side of the fabric for permanent adhesion. I layed out a large piece of the fabric (tweed), sprayed about 1/3 of the backside, then sprayed 1/3 of the dash surface. The adhesive takes about 10 minutes to full cure, so the fabric can be applied and smoothed out during this time. Once applied, it can be removed but not very easily. Seams can be cut using a sharp razor blade and are easily concealed. It takes some practice, but with patience it can be done. I usually reccomend applying this fabric at a rate of 6-12 inches at a time to most surfaces...smoothing it with your hands until the adhesive cures. When I did my door panels, I used a flexible plastic bondo applicator in order to push the fabric into the sharp edged surfaces of the door.

Last edited:

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That is one of the best jobs i've seen. Very nice.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I want to know what adhesive so I can get some I've tried the 3m crap 77 and 90 not impressed by either.

84chevk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That 3m is good stuff, you got to know how to do it. I fixed the headliner in my old 96 Olds work car. Yor spray the crap out of it, you plaster the head liner back up, then you give it a heavy coat on the outside! Not one of my best jobs, but it doesn't rub my hat anymore.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8