Dash pad interchangeability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wzup1000

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
LS
I have searched and couldn't find a clear answer if different year dash pads will interchange with other years. I ask because I have a 79 step side with a cracked dash, but found a steal on a near perfect dash pad from a 74 c10. Does anyone know if it will fit without modification?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
73-80 have the small dash board
81-91 have the other style

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You may not have the cutout for the VIN. I ran into this on my '79. The dash I found was from an earlier year blazer, not sure of what year, but it didn't have the small window to see the vin tag on the metal part of the dash.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You may not have the cutout for the VIN. I ran into this on my '79. The dash I found was from an earlier year blazer, not sure of what year, but it didn't have the small window to see the vin tag on the metal part of the dash.

Yes my 78 had it riveted to the door post

run2424

Reaction score
First Name
robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just installed my 85 dash and bezel into my 76. Cut a notch for the windshield antenna, remove the 2 metal clips from the driver side of 85 dash and the center dash speaker from the 76. Install.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Has anyone installed an pre 80 dash and instrument bezel into a 81-87 ?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

I have. It goes right in but the headlight switch may be in the wrong spot and the wiper switch was located by the headlight switch too. If I remember correctly I made a plate to mount those two compnents in the correct locations. I just put a 76 dash in my 87 but I don't have the correct bezel for it yet so i slid some weatherstrip into the gap to give it a finished look for now. The dash pad would cover the vin but I moved it to the door post for accessability.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I have. It goes right in but the headlight switch may be in the wrong spot and the wiper switch was located by the headlight switch too. If I remember correctly I made a plate to mount those two compnents in the correct locations. I just put a 76 dash in my 87 but I don't have the correct bezel for it yet so i slid some weatherstrip into the gap to give it a finished look for now. The dash pad would cover the vin but I moved it to the door post for accessability.

Ya that looks cool! Nice trick with the weather stripping. Good to know Im gonna keep my eyes peeled for a pre 80' dash pad and bezel.

Im gonna put my 84 tilt column with intermittent wipers into my 83 that has the wipers on the dash. So I will just need to cover the hole for the wipers then! Hah right on thanks for the info :)

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Ya that looks cool! Nice trick with the weather stripping. Good to know Im gonna keep my eyes peeled for a pre 80' dash pad and bezel.

Im gonna put my 84 tilt column with intermittent wipers into my 83 that has the wipers on the dash. So I will just need to cover the hole for the wipers then! Hah right on thanks for the info :)

I am always suprised how much those bezels go for on ebay! At one poit I had a half dozen of them in a box. I figured they were a dime a dozen so I tossed em when I moved. Live and learn. Thats an 87 bezel in the pic I posted. When I put my other truck together I put all the interior pieces from a 78 into an 86 cab and thats when I needed to move the light switch and mount the wiper switch if memory serves.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I gave up on replacing my cracked-sun damaged dash. I figured since it would happen with a replacement, covering it with material would look better. I patched the foam, sanded down the cracks and covered it. I saved the cost of full replacement and spent $20 on upholstery adhesive and fabric.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI

I have the dash bezel that came with my build. The downside is the p.o. cut out a section for the aftermarket radio. If you are interested...I can post pics. I found my current bezel locally. The bezel is from a 1984-1987

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well I have a few 84-87 and 81-83. I need to find a good pre 80 bezel to go with a pre 80 dash.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well I have a few 84-87 and 81-83. I need to find a good pre 80 bezel to go with a pre 80 dash.

I though the only differences in the bezels were the finish and the different openings for the switches depending on year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL