Dana 44 front wheel bearings need tightening?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Javin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Javin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Hey I have an 1981 gmc 3/4 with a Dana 44 in the front I noticed that my wheel bearings seem a little loose when shaking the wheel on the top and bottom when it’s sitting in the air, wondering if anyone can walk me through checking the bearings and or tightening them up?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Pull your wheel off, then you pull your locking hub out.

Also make sure you note and look at which way everything comes out, the next thing after you get your locking hub removed is to loosen the jam nut on the axle shaft. You’ll need an axle nut socket, you can find them at most auto parts stores. Then there will be a splined washer type thing(drawing a blank on the name) it holds your tension but in position and the jam nut keeps everything tight, that’ll just pull straight out then you’ll have a second axle nut behind that. That’s what adjusts your tension.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Youll want to inspect your bearings for deformities and pitting. Then if you don’t replace them you’ll have to repack them and get new hub seals

If your wheels are loose like that then I’ll bet they need servicing so that’s why you’ll have to take it apart.

Javin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Javin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Ok awesome sounds similar to what i was thinking. is it possible to tighten and loosen with a flat head the jam nut and inner nut? How long roughly does a job like this take ie: afternoon? And where exactly is the seal I need to replace? Sorry just want to make sure I get the exact one

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Ok awesome sounds similar to what ie as thinking is it possible to tighten and loosen with a flat head the jam but and inner nut? How long roughly does a job like this take ie: afternoon? And where exactly is the seal I need to replace? Sorry just want to make sure I get the exact one

You won’t be able to use a flat head. The sockets are cheap and easily found and you’ll definitely need it someday again, so just go ahead and get one. There is a hub seal on the back side of the hub that seals the hub to the axle cone. You’ll have to remove that seal to inspect your inner bearing and repack or replace it. The outer bearing will come out after the tension nut comes out

I also forgot to mention that there is a snap ring you’ll need to take off to get the locking hub mechanism out.

Should be an easy afternoon job even for someone who hasn’t done it before.

Javin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Javin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Ok sounds good seems simple enough thanks for all the tips I may try to tackle it in the next day or so

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Ok sounds good seems simple enough thanks for all the tips I may try to tackle it in the next day or so

The reassembly procedure has a few important steps that you have to follow. You can find lots of videos on how to do it. But if you need help with that also just ask

Javin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Javin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Ok thanks very much I should be ok on the reassembly I’ve replaced bearings in the past just wanted to confirm on how to do them on a the Dana 44

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
It's not super hard to do, just kind of tedious and you'll get pretty covered in grease.

Definitely get the socket, should take maybe half a day to do as long as you've got everything you need right with you from the get go.

Let us know how it goes for ya, I had mine get all messed up when the outer wheel hub (what the brake disc attaches to) cracked on mine. Make sure to inspect that as well.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
For sure, that’s with anything you work on really. Inspect every piece of the task you’re working on especially if your taking it apart piece by piece. Personally on a vehicle I recently have acquired or haven’t worked on much, I’ll just replace the bearings straight up without even looking at the old ones. They’re not very expensive and when it’s something that’s important like this I just make sure it’s new and good.

Javin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Javin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Ok will do thanks guys hopefully in a day I’ll tackle the drivers side and let ya know how it goes

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I replaced ball joints in January, so I went through pulling axles and hubs as part of the repair. I found the 4WD axle socket at Autozone, and was lucky enough to pick the right one the first time (there were three types they sold).

Its a relatively easy process, but lots of steps. Most of the videos show trucks with locking hubs, but mine with fixed hubs was several steps simpler. I also found that that the store has one big parts diagram that shows all the seals on the axle and hub. The parts guys had difficulty understanding which one I needed, so I recommend pulling the old seal first and bring it in for comparison.

Its also a very messy, greasy job, and I made the mistake of doing it outside in 35-40 degree weather. The new high temp grease I bought was so sticky in cold weather that I could stretch about an 18" string of grease before it would come off the bearings or hub. It really made a mess when I was trying to grease things during assembly. Buy some nitrile gloves.

Bruce

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
You should have a torque wrench, although you may be able to fudge that. It does make it easier to set the clearance correctly if you tighten it consistently. You're going to want a dial indicator with a magnetic base too. The clearance is supposed to be .001" - .010". Not something you're going to be able to feel unless you have a lot of experience.

Also, if the truck is an '81 it's probably a corporate 10-bolt, not a Dana 44. Just a technicality. It shouldn't affect what you're doing.

Javin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Javin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Ok Ido have a torque wrench I’ll most likely use that, it does have a Dana 44 with chrome moly axles and a 14 bolt FF in the rear the previous owner swapped them in, which I was real happy to find out

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Good deal. That 14 bolt is a nice upgrade. Did they go with the bigger brakes too?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey