Cutting the dash for later stereo mounting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe/Sierra
Engine Size
350/305
Ok while i have been looking around in various threads i have seen the idea of cutting the dash to accept the later 1.5 din set up mentioned. Is it literally as easy as cutting the dash to accept a din adapter bezel and swapping to a later gauge cluster bezel? Does anyone have any pics of it done or even just pics of the newer setup?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If you’re not averse to going with a single DIN unit, then that’s actually going to be the easiest course of action. A single DIN is about an inch thinner than 1.5 DIN and even with that reduced dimension, the face plate for a single DIN head unit just barely fits into a stock bezel (the lower right hand corner is right up against the bezel's raised relief). And that is with some very careful modifications to the bezel using a 32 TPI hacksaw blade, a utility knife and a file for dialing in the final opening dimension.

Modifying the actual steel dash board isn't as critical - because the bezel hides everything (BTW - the increased opening is best made with a high speed cut off tool. Tried the first time with a Sawzall and a fine tooth metal blade - it was a nightmare). But even with the bezel hiding some mistakes, the enlarged opening in the dash must be carefully positioned/located. This is primarily so that at final assembly, the mounting sleeve will allow the HU (and it's faceplate) to fit into that lower RH corner of the bezel.

Also, the steel of the dash is raised and contoured in the area around the radio. A single DIN measures about 7 1/8" X 2". A DIN and a half, on the other hand, has the same width but is about about 3 1/4" tall. If you want the small flange on the front of the sleeve to sit flush with the steel dash, you will want to be sure the opening does not extend into the raised areas around the edges.

I am not very articulate tonight. Below are some pictures that might help explain what I mean.

A stock, unmodified dash board:

You must be registered for see images attach

My first attempt at modifying a steel dash to accept a single DIN sleeve (not my best work I admit, but it wasn't a show truck - I just wanted a radio):

An unaltered dash bezel (sorry, I couldn't find any pictures of one I had modified):

What a single DIN looks like when mounted (note how close the face plate comes to the edge of the bezel):

I am not sure how practical it would be to attempt to fit a bezel from a different style/model year truck on your 1984 dashboard. I imagine there would be some serious issues just with mounting it to the dash itself - not to mention fitment with the instrument panel, steering column, climate control panel, dash pad, etc.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
1988(some 88)-1991 bezel will fit and will not need to be cut. Its 1.5 din size and would use an adapter for 1 din size radio
Adapter with angle brackets mounted so it could be attached to the metal dash: (When mounted, i used spacer on the bottom to angle the whole assembly up.

Installed

Opening in the metal dash(factory size for 88-91)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I can't remember the last time I had an '89-'91 bezel removed, but those photos confirmed what I was remembering. The '89-'91 dash stamping is slightly different to accommodate the 1.5 DIN opening.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I can't remember the last time I had an '89-'91 bezel removed, but those photos confirmed what I was remembering. The '89-'91 dash stamping is slightly different to accommodate the 1.5 DIN opening.

The stamping slightly different but newer bezel fits the old stamping with drilling a hole for an extra mounting screw.
Late model bezel in 85 below(bezel is cracked, but not because of mounting)

And the adapter. Painted black later

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I hate this mod. I really wish you wouldn't do it. I cringe when I see a dash hacked up. I know a bunch of you will disagree but that's how I feel. highdesertranger

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I hate this mod. I really wish you wouldn't do it. I cringe when I see a dash hacked up. I know a bunch of you will disagree but that's how I feel. highdesertranger

X a billion

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I agree. I've done it on one of mine and regret doing it even though it turned out fine. It was done poorly by previous owners on my other trucks and it makes me wish the dash was still uncut on all of them. My '79 is the only one with an uncut dash.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Back in high school before I learned how to do stereo installs myself a friend of mine worked at a stereo shop and helped me out. I had a '76 K5 Blazer and wanted to have a "modern" stereo in it. He cut the metal dash but folded in the metal so in case I wanted to go back to a shaft style radio I could. Once the dash bezel was installed you couldn't tell.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Back in high school before I learned how to do stereo installs myself a friend of mine worked at a stereo shop and helped me out. I had a '76 K5 Blazer and wanted to have a "modern" stereo in it. He cut the metal dash but folded in the metal so in case I wanted to go back to a shaft style radio I could. Once the dash bezel was installed you couldn't tell.

I have seen this several times.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Have you thought about using a RetroSound shaft radio? I've heard they are much better quality than Custom AutoSound. They are sold by two of the best vendors on the planet -- Crutchfield, and Summit Racing.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/

Darkrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
1984/1986
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe/Sierra
Engine Size
350/305
Have you thought about using a RetroSound shaft radio? I've heard they are much better quality than Custom AutoSound. They are sold by two of the best vendors on the planet -- Crutchfield, and Summit Racing.

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/

Since i have had most of the winter to contemplate this. I may seriously consider this route to keep the dash original. More then likely will go for the Long Beach model since it has Bluetooth and Ipod/Iphone control on it. Plus they offer stereo type dual voice coil speakers which will enable me to keep the stock center dash speaker location while adding a pair of 6x9s or 6.5s behind the seat.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I have a retrosound and I love it, looks at home and works great. I got the simpler model at the time (several years ago) so I just have an aux input cable for playing from my phone. It hasn't given me any trouble. I personally would recommend retrosound.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii