Cutting front coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What's the most you can take off the stock front coils without running into alignment issues or completely killing the good ride. I'm assuming one full coil is about the limit, correct?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
One full coil yields about a 2in drop, you will still need to realignment but its within adjustability. If you go more than that you will need drop spindles.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Alright, that's what I was figuring. It's time to finally lower the truck and I decided to go lower than originally intended for simplicity. I'm going to get a couple flip brackets for the rear and make my own shock brackets. Just trying to figure out the front now, I want the truck to retain a little rake.

Meyster89

Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've been thinking about doing this as well. I know they sell lowering kits, but if I can just swap the rear axle and cut springs, that could save tons of money. What all is involved when doing something like this?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Alright, that's what I was figuring. It's time to finally lower the truck and I decided to go lower than originally intended for simplicity. I'm going to get a couple flip brackets for the rear and make my own shock brackets. Just trying to figure out the front now, I want the truck to retain a little rake.
If the suspension is currently unaltered, you should have a factory 2in rake. Just do the drop equally front and rear to maintain the rake. 2/2, 4/4, etc.

I've been thinking about doing this as well. I know they sell lowering kits, but if I can just swap the rear axle and cut springs, that could save tons of money. What all is involved when doing something like this?
You can do a 5/5in drop for as little as $400 including the front end alignment, if you "cheap out" by not getting the right stuff you will easily lose it in increased tire wear.....pay it now or pay it later. Ive lowered these trucks for years and you dont need those big dollar kits but the bare minimum to DO IT RIGHT ON THE CHEAP is drop spindles, flip brackets, and shock extenders.

Last edited:

Meyster89

Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If the suspension is currently unaltered, you should have a factory 2in rake. Just do the drop equally front and rear to maintain the rake. 2/2, 4/4, etc.

You can do a 5/5in drop for as little as $400 including the front end alignment, if you "cheap out" by not getting the right stuff you will easily lose it in increased tire wear.....pay it now or pay it later.

That's what I was worried about, ok, Thanks, I'll just spend the money and do it right.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

If the rear flip is about 5 inches, then I'll be looking at cutting a coil and getting a pair of spindles. I don't mind if there's a little less rake than factory, it would probably look better with less anyway if the truck is closer to the ground.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
That's what I was worried about, ok, Thanks, I'll just spend the money and do it right.
You will be happier in the end.:waytogo:

If the rear flip is about 5 inches, then I'll be looking at cutting a coil and getting a pair of spindles. I don't mind if there's a little less rake than factory, it would probably look better with less anyway if the truck is closer to the ground.
Each of these trucks has drop spindles with one round cut off the springs and a flip kit in the rear(except the rear of the pro street).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I like that. Being those trucks are all black, it makes it very easy to visualize what my truck will look like. Except mines a stepper and not nearly as nice.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you can get the rear flip brackets on ebay cheap, or used to but i not you can get them on another site for like %35-55 shipped.

I would get some drop spindles, then cut half a coil.

Rusty1

Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C10 SWB
Engine Size
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5494
In this thread you can see how I made my own shock extenders.

To do the flip I bought rear spring perches from summit for $14.00. drilled them for a 1" set back. Checked my pinion angle before I pulled the rear end. Set it up on the new spring perches and set the pinion to the same angle. Tac welded the new perches in place. Pulled the rear and welded the new perches on. I then drilled a hole in each of the u bolt mounting plates for the same 1" set back. Re installed the rear using the original u bolts. So the rear flip cost 14 bucks plus a little mig wire. Made the shock extenders out of scrap I had in my shop.

The front has 3" drop spindles and 1 coil cut.

I have pictures on my home computer that show all the details

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skymagu