Custom Door Lock Knobs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I'm also interested in these but can see where this is going. You'll get enough orders that you'll start looking for ways to increase production while reducing costs. Pretty soon you'll turn to offshore manufacturing and...

You must be registered for see images attach

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I'm also interested in these but can see where this is going. You'll get enough orders that you'll start looking for ways to increase production while reducing costs. Pretty soon you'll turn to offshore manufacturing and...

You must be registered for see images attach

Holy crap that is epic funny .

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
Funny but true to the American manufacturer.

But, seriously on the side note, you could turn out as many as you felt like. And being quality American made, you wouldn't have any problem selling them. If you charged like $20 a pair, and if it only took you an afternoon to have your CNC machine turn out 5 pair. That's a quick $100. And you could totally have buyer pay for shipping. I'm sure folks would line up and wait for ya.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Lmc sells some now. I don’t think they’re stainless but they’re billet, I have some on my suburban

Jon Karnes

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.9 12 valve Cummins Conversion
Good lookin.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If you were to make them from aluminum, you could get them color anodized for an additional custom touch.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If you were to make them from aluminum, you could get them color anodized for an additional custom touch.

I /could/ make them out of aluminum. Would have to thicken the thread shaft since these are so thin. It's hard to tell from the pics but they are smaller in diameter than the OEM plastic ones since I thought it made them look more sleek. Shaft is 0.25 OD and the wall thickness before threading is only about 35 thousandths. I'd be worried the aluminum would break.

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Also some background info on why I haven't put these up for sale yet.

For those of you who haven't seen me mention it, I'm an engineering student about to graduate and start graduate school. I'm a welding and machining instructor at the student machine shop on campus and I do off-hand projects like this in my spare time. It would be unethical of me to use university lathes to make these and sell them so I'm looking at other options.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Also some background info on why I haven't put these up for sale yet.

For those of you who haven't seen me mention it, I'm an engineering student about to graduate and start graduate school. I'm a welding and machining instructor at the student machine shop on campus and I do off-hand projects like this in my spare time. It would be unethical of me to use university lathes to make these and sell them so I'm looking at other options.

Impressive!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I /could/ make them out of aluminum. Would have to thicken the thread shaft since these are so thin. It's hard to tell from the pics but they are smaller in diameter than the OEM plastic ones since I thought it made them look more sleek. Shaft is 0.25 OD and the wall thickness before threading is only about 35 thousandths. I'd be worried the aluminum would break.
Won't reducing the shaft diameter allow more room for movement within the trim grommet on the door panel? I would think that enlarging it to use as much space as still allows ease of movement, would fill the trim grommet better, and reduce the chance of a rattle?

OneShot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Won't reducing the shaft diameter allow more room for movement within the trim grommet on the door panel? I would think that enlarging it to use as much space as still allows ease of movement, would fill the trim grommet better, and reduce the chance of a rattle?
You're absolutely right, it would. My old lock knobs rattled around in the slots and it didn't particularly bother me so I tried to keep them stockish. Personal preference I suppose.

Although now I might go for making a large aluminum set. And I think I'll post drawing schematics and GnM code for anybody who wants to make them themselves on here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
Those dang ethics always getting in the way of fun. LOL

I bought thick, stiff felt from Joann fabric and made grommets for my lock pull panel holes. No rattling at all. Looks nice too.

Also, I have played with electro-anodizing with colors on aluminum could be extremely cool to do lock pulls to match interiors.

Speedway1

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ls1
Love the simplicity but yet clean and not to flashy

Latest posts

Forum statistics