Cummins in a square body wiring.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
DISCLAIMER: WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR TRUCK IS YOU ISSUE THIS IS FOR INFORMATIVE PURPOSES ONLY!
That being said I've had a few guys message me about this so I thought I would start a new topic. I know there are a bunch of transmissions that can be used and accessories that can be bolted to the front of the engines so anyone wanting chime in on what they are using for AC, alternator or a transmission.

Last edited:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
I'm going to start with the gauges. The water temperature is a single green wire leading out the firewall. There are all kinds of ports to install in the engine for the sensor. The back of head drivers side is the hottest part of the head. Install a 1/2 in Chevy sensor here.

Last edited:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
The oil pressure gauge has a brown wire coming out of the firewall. The sensor is a 3/8 thread and below the oil filter on the passenger side. Vibration has a lot of effect on this gauge and is the reason for the flex tube. Make sure your sensor is tied away from the block or you get a crazy bouncy needle. Only use Chevy sensors or your reading at the gauge will not be correct.

Last edited:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
The voltmeter will come on when you connect with your alternator. I used brackets that worked with a Chevy alternator and AC. If you are interested in those visit www.autoworldmt.com. Chevy alternators are generally 2 or 3 wire. I doubt a dodge alternator would be difficult to figure out but if someone who has utilized one could chime in.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
The engine starter wires are the battery cable preferably 2/0 gauge in cold climates. Cummins recommendeds 800 CCA, but I personally wired two batteries in parallel to increase amps. An interstate battery store can make you battery cables out of welding cable. Just ask. The pink and black wire leading to the solenoid post will run all other lights and such in the cab. The purple wire goes to the small post on the solenoid and is for your starter switch.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
There is a fuel cutoff switch on the injection pump. Lead your 12 volt source that was your coil hot to this. You don't need any damn spark plugs anyway. The fuel cutoff had two prongs lead the other wire to the timing advance underneath the injection pump.

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
The injection pump I discussed is a ve pump. I am sure this applies to a p pump. There may be minor difference that I am unaware of. My truck was also a TBI. Wire coloring may be different. Most of the TBI and computer controlling was grouped together out of the firewall and extremely easy to eliminate. Don't forget to ground your engine.

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
None of my gauges work right now my fuel level lights in my dash or anything ? Any place to look ? Mine was a TBI to

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
Did you pop a fuse?

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
I looked I don't think so but it's about time to find all that stuffs problem ingot every thing hooked up and just need to clean all my tools out the truck lol but ill find out here pretty soon

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
The relay box for the locks have to be grounded ... Imagine that

TexasOutlaw87Cummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 30
Engine Size
5.9 cummins
:suicide::suicide:Yea one of them now my sending units arnt working and the done and horn blows a fuse soon as I put it in there :suicide: