Crossover Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Is there any benefit to update to crossover steering on a K10 with a 2" lift and 32" tires used mostly for pulling on-road?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I've had 4 Squarebody 4WD trucks over the years. All were lifted 3-6" with a minimum of 33" tall tires. With your plans I don't think a cross steer set up is needed or cost effective.

Bump steer is the big issue with our factory push-pull steering set up. My last truck, a '79 K15, had a old, very stiff 4" Rancho lift when I bought it. I replaced it with a 4" Tuff Country EZ Ride set up. With the Ranchos, there was no bump steer as it was so stiff. I had some with the new springs but very minimal (I had installed a heavy winch bumper on the front). My '77 K5 with a 6" Skyjacker with 36" tires, had a lot of bump steer due to spring flex. If I had done serious off roading with truck, a cross steer would have been a tremendous help.

Cross steer is designed to remove the bump steer and also prevents the bind our OEM set causes off roading. There are a few issues when running a cross steer. I believe you need more than a 2" lift, like you have, you have to run a 2WD steering box and you lose the factory sway bar as it interferes with the new steering set up. For towing on the highway, you probably want the sway bar. I have seen people fab up sway bars for cross steer setups. Also, if you don't have a D44 in front, you'd need a new right knuckle.

ORD's Cross steer setup
You must be registered for see images

vicnation

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tristan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for the information. It makes sense to me.

cmoore

Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
Thank you for the help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads