crossover steering with no lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Affende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Affende
Truck Year
83 and 84
Truck Model
C1500 and K3500 3+3
Engine Size
250 and 454
Its no secret that push pull steering is .... effective. It is not, however, perfect.

the front end of my truck needs all new steering linkages, the power steering box is sloppy and leaking, and i want to put in a XJ steering shaft ..... i would like to go with a crossover steering setup ... less bump steer, less stress on the parts, etc

My D60 needs new ball joints, and probably new king pins, as well as a good reseal ... so i plan on rebuilding that 100%. while its apart, it would be a great time to upgrade the steering and i will be swapping my front sagging 3 leaf springs for 4 leafs (added a welder and tools, and it has a 454 so i dont *think* i will be too stiff).

Ideally i would like to do this all in one go ... collect the parts, rip it out, and put it all back new.

SO...... can you run crossover steering with no lift (but new slightly higher load springs)??

lifting is a last resort ... dont need it, dont like it, dont want it.

opinions? experiences?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I can't write on a check on it but I believe you can. The anti-sway bar will have to go but with your big springs you may not even notice.
Don't skimp on your shocks, they do more to minimize body roll than one would think.
Too bad these trucks didn't come from factory like this. It's a pretty profound difference.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Also forgot to mention, you would need a 2x steering box. If you have done any research I'm sure you know about that. Not a big deal, just another thing to think about. They are cheap at the wrecking yards...

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I keep seeing references to crossover
Also forgot to mention, you would need a 2x steering box. If you have done any research I'm sure you know about that. Not a big deal, just another thing to think about. They are cheap at the wrecking yards...
Crossover steering is new to me, but makes good sense. What is a 2x steering box? Do they have the same splines as the stock box and would use the same steering shaft?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
2wd steering box. I believe there is very little space available for cross over steering with no lift. Engine cross member is in the was

Crossover steering is new to me, but makes good sense. What is a 2x steering box? Do they have the same splines as the stock box and would use the same steering shaft?

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
2wd steering box. I believe there is very little space available for cross over steering with no lift. Engine cross member is in the was
I gotcha. I am planning a 4" lift, so I should be good with stock box if I go with the crossover steering?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I gotcha. I am planning a 4" lift, so I should be good with stock box if I go with the crossover steering?
By stock, do you mean stock 2wd steering box? If so, then yes.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

The 4wd box has asymmetrical splines so you can rotate the steering arm to point forward.

Some times the engine cross member can be trimmed slightly... other times it's a no go. I'm not sure why they aren't all the same. Perhaps making millions of these trucks in different plants has something to do with that. A good option is the engine cross member offered by ORDs...

Wouldn't be difficult to make one of these. I would jump in with both feet and I think I could even improve on the design.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/enginecrossmember.htm

While I'm here, or there...
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana60crossover.htm

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The 4wd box has asymmetrical splines so you can rotate the steering arm to point forward.

Some times the engine cross member can be trimmed slightly... other times it's a no go. I'm not sure why they aren't all the same. Perhaps making millions of these trucks in different plants has something to do with that. A good option is the engine cross member offered by ORDs...

Wouldn't be difficult to make one of these. I would jump in with both feet and I think I could even improve on the design.
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/enginecrossmember.htm

While I'm here, or there...
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Dana60crossover.htm
Wasn't aware that you could rotate the arm. Thought that was the reason for the 2wd box. I know the saginaw boxes they used on jeeps had a double width spline in one point of the shaft, so it could only be clocked one way.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
On all the 73-87 GM 4x4's I have worked on, the pitman shaft has a few splines and a notch that a bolt goes through to attach the arm to squeeze the arm tight to the shaft. Not splined all around and the pitman arm goes on one way.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
By stock, do you mean stock 2wd steering box? If so, then yes.
No, I meant a stock 4WD box. So even with a lift I need a 2WD box?

Not sure if I will ever do the crossover conversion, but would hate to replace the steering box, then find out I should have used a different one.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Wasn't aware that you could rotate the arm. Thought that was the reason for the 2wd box. I know the saginaw boxes they used on jeeps had a double width spline in one point of the shaft, so it could only be clocked one way.
No sorry that came out wrong. The 4wd box has asymmetrical splines so you CAN NOT rotate the arm.
This is why we use the 2wd box. Whew..
On all the 73-87 GM 4x4's I have worked on, the pitman shaft has a few splines and a notch that a bolt goes through to attach the arm to squeeze the arm tight to the shaft. Not splined all around and the pitman arm goes on one way.
Yes this is correct.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The steering on my 78 is pretty sloppy, but I am hoping the jeep intermediate shaft will fix that. If not and I have to replace the steering box, will a 2WD box work with the stock setup, and then it will be ready if I decide to change over to crossover steering?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
No, I meant a stock 4WD box. So even with a lift I need a 2WD box?

Not sure if I will ever do the crossover conversion, but would hate to replace the steering box, then find out I should have used a different one.

The 4x4 box clocks the pitman arm in the wrong direction for the crossover. The 2wd box puts it right where it needs to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL