couple trucks and other stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
Yea part of the reason I'm posting them for sale here instead of craigslist is I'd like to see them saved instead of butchered or scrapped. I have a huge barn clear full of parts, but no one wants the stuff around here anymore. I sold a couple of Dana 60's while back but haven't had a local call in 6 months looking for parts. Almost all the square body's are gone in my area, rust got them all. Driving every day around town I might see one or two that's it anymore. I have been saving my collection and parts almost 25 years now. It's been a month since I've even been in the barn of parts looking for anything.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Does the '78 currently run with the potential to drive it, or would it need towed for sure? Does it still look about how it did a while back?

Also, would you happen to have a cab with a good title? Doesn't have to be a nice cab, just one that could be roadworthy.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
Yea part of the reason I'm posting them for sale here instead of craigslist is I'd like to see them saved instead of butchered or scrapped. I have a huge barn clear full of parts, but no one wants the stuff around here anymore. I sold a couple of Dana 60's while back but haven't had a local call in 6 months looking for parts. Almost all the square body's are gone in my area, rust got them all. Driving every day around town I might see one or two that's it anymore. I have been saving my collection and parts almost 25 years now. It's been a month since I've even been in the barn of parts looking for anything.

You're close enough to make me think I could get there on a weekend - but time for "projects" never come up.

My '90 V3500 3+3 , '94 K1500 , and '85 C20 - just sit.

I need a bed and several other items , maybe two business owners can meet some sunday before the year ends !!??

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
The 78 will need to be towed, about same shape as it was. We had it started and it sounded good last summer but carb is junk. I can load it on a trailer needs a new home.

I'm avalable on Sunday afternoons if you want make trip up sometime. Pm me and I'll give you my number 68post

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is a Carb all it would need Joe? Someone could bring a good carb ready to bolt on. Change fluids and rock and roll across the country.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
It hasn't been driven in 3-5 years, I wouldn't chance it. Heck bring an extra $1800 and I got a nice skid steer trailer that you can haul it home on and keep

I got way much stuff

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My trailer is only that 16 footer, and I currently don't have a suitable tow rig. The truck would be a very tight squeeze on the trailer and I'd have to borrow a rig. Unless I just don't take the freeway and drive my Burb.

I was kinda thinking it might be a fun trip if I just threw some parts/fluids at the truck, put that 454 in the bed and made the drive back with a "support vehicle".

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Why does it have to be a trailer? Tires good? Drop the driveshaft and towbar the bitch with a dingy tow. Everyone needs a towbar for picking up squares.

Now I want to cry :bawl: I knew I should have never gotten into that folder. I miss my fuggin K1500. That thing ran and rode good.

Attachments

• 000_0097-2.jpg
    000_0097-2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 120

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm actually surprised as many vehicles as you have Andy, that you don't have a tow dolly. Of course being 4x4 and a big block, that axle and BBC would be to heavy for most tow dollies. That cheap $69 Harbor Freight tow bar only has weight capacity of 5000lb so that means 4000lb to be safe. It might work if you didn't need to stop fast and didn't take off like a jack rabbit.

Attachments

• hftowbar.jpg
    hftowbar.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 103

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I told you I have a trailer for sale to haul it on lol. 14k lb one even. I use a wrecker or rollback to move mine around unless I'm boarded and got the payloader running or skid steer. Tires all hold air but I'm not sure if they would make the trip. They have some dry rot, but I have some extra scabs I could donate you.

I never had any luck with a towbar. I even had a Ryder rental one when they sold them off and it never worked right. Tow Dolly's suck with a full size truck on them also

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I told you I have a trailer for sale to haul it on lol. 14k lb one even. I use a wrecker or rollback to move mine around unless I'm boarded and got the payloader running or skid steer. Tires all hold air but I'm not sure if they would make the trip. They have some dry rot, but I have some extra scabs I could donate you.

I never had any luck with a towbar. I even had a Ryder rental one when they sold them off and it never worked right. Tow Dolly's suck with a full size truck on them also

yes, I agree with you on the tow dollies. Little front wheel drive cars, they're OK, but past that, not so much. I know a guy who home built a real sturdy heavy duty one and you'd have thought it was professionally made. He did use his to tow a 4x4 lifted truck with 37's. Built it for that purpose, so it did work fairly well. He even set it up with electric brakes to help slow the 4x4 down with some nice tire stops up front to keep the truck from rolling out of the pans.

Dry rot wouldn't scare me much this time of year. Probably 6 or 8 ply bias tires? Those things are tough and so long as the weather isn't hot, they'll go just fine.

You're right about those Ryder/ Uhaul type tow bars. You don't hook **** up right, they can be dangerous. That one I have, I bought brand new from an equipment rental place. I had them order it for me. I bought that thing before my daughter was born and what I used alot to tow my transmission job cars and scrap vehicles. Back then I paid $275 for that damn thing. It's more than paid for itself though. I've towed vehicle from Los Angeles to OKC and back with it before.

68post

very, VERY, limited access member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
84 K30 SRW Silverado, 85 C20 C6P
Engine Size
454, TBD
TowJoe - pm sent

HotRod , Towbar - no way, tow dolly ok - but a 4wd with 15X10's and 12.50 tires doesn't fit. Of course I found out the hard way !

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh c'mon Tim, Live a little. Having your balls up in your throat for a few hundred mile drive isn't so bad. :lol:

Hooked up right, it can be safe. I've even used my tow bar before when I had a trailer handy. Didn't care to haul the extra 1400lbs empty, and make the 5000lb tow a 6400lb tow, not to mention excessive tongue weight. But I agree, for the unknown condition, trailer is best. I've had some questionable trips when the front suspension of the vehicle I was towing was trying to drag the ass end of my truck to the shoulder. :happy175: I've also been doing 65mph when the vehicle I was towing was heavier than the pulling vehicle, and the towed vehicle had a front blow out. Results weren't good at all.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I had always wanted a tow dolly when I first started buying cars all the time. Borrowing them from guys I knew got old real quick. But the prices for tow dollies around here was crazy at the time, so I decided a trailer would be best. Still took a while to find a deal, but the trailer was a much better bargain.

I've had my shortbed on the trailer and it fit fine. I guess a longbed truck should be safe enough, but the rims/tires would have to be narrow to fit between the fenders.

Texas4x4Burb

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
5.9l Cummins
I've got an 85 Suburban I'm putting an nv4500 into. Would you happen to have a hydraulic clutch/brake pedal assembly?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406