Cooling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b00mhower

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C30
Engine Size
Issue started this morning on my way to work, my temp gauge had been reading at the quarter mark at all times but this morning it started at half then kept fluctuating up and down but it always came back down to half, while i was driving home it wemt all the way past h then back to normal. I'm thinking my tstat needs replaced but I'm hoping it's just my gauge being screwy, any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Issue started this morning on my way to work, my temp gauge had been reading at the quarter mark at all times but this morning it started at half then kept fluctuating up and down but it always came back down to half, while i was driving home it wemt all the way past h then back to normal. I'm thinking my tstat needs replaced but I'm hoping it's just my gauge being screwy, any thoughts?

Could be the thermostat but could also be the temp sender. Unhook the temp sender and ground it and see what the gauge reads should peg the gauge. Disconnected should be the inverse of grounded.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

tstat or air in the system is my thought.

b00mhower

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C30
Engine Size
Could be the thermostat but could also be the temp sender. Unhook the temp sender and ground it and see what the gauge reads should peg the gauge. Disconnected should be the inverse of grounded.
Gonna go try that now

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If the gauge was at 1/2 scale this morning when the engine was cool, you have a sender or gauge problem. You should first make sure the electrical connection to the sender is good.

If you understand resistance, resistors, and potentiometers, you can simulate the sender using the the resistances below to check your gauge.

For Truck Years: 1979 - 1990

The Temp Gauge Needle Should Point to:
Left Line (Cold) when sender resistance = 1,365 Ω
Middle Line when sender resistance = 96 Ω
Right Line (Hot) when sender resistance = 55 Ω

Also, you can use an ohm meter to check the resistance of your sender when the engine is cold (1365 ohms) or warm to hot (somewhere between 55-96 ohms. I would say +/- 10% is probably OK for any of the measurements.

b00mhower

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C30
Engine Size
If the gauge was at 1/2 scale this morning when the engine was cool, you have a sender or gauge problem. You should first make sure the electrical connection to the sender is good.

If you understand resistance, resistors, and potentiometers, you can simulate the sender using the the resistances below to check your gauge.

For Truck Years: 1979 - 1990

The Temp Gauge Needle Should Point to:
Left Line (Cold) when sender resistance = 1,365 Ω
Middle Line when sender resistance = 96 Ω
Right Line (Hot) when sender resistance = 55 Ω

Also, you can use an ohm meter to check the resistance of your sender when the engine is cold (1365 ohms) or warm to hot (somewhere between 55-96 ohms. I would say +/- 10% is probably OK for any of the measurements.
I'll have to grab a multimeter or wait until i go to work thanks for the resistance values !

b00mhower

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C30
Engine Size
sender did exactly that when I tested it nothing discontented and full pull grounded to the battery

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You would need a variable resistor to test useing above Ohms numbers a volt meter won't do that but you could test you'd sensor with your meter with the sensor connected to the gauge and meter leads connected and engine running to see what for reading you get vs the gauge reading.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
tstat or air in the system is my thought.

Low coolant level with entrained pockets of air (or combustion gases) causing erratic sensor outputs.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You would need a variable resistor to test useing above Ohms numbers a volt meter won't do that but you could test you'd sensor with your meter with the sensor connected to the gauge and meter leads connected and engine running to see what for reading you get vs the gauge reading.
Not sure why you would need a variable resistor to check resistance.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Not sure why you would need a variable resistor to check resistance.
To insure gauge is reading the proper tem at a prescribed ohm level. Not to check resistance but useing user given resistance to the gauge.

b00mhower

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C30
Engine Size
Thanks everyone for the input, got a new tstat will install in the morning when i do plugs. Will update

b00mhower

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra C30
Engine Size
Sorry kinda late on the update but flush and fill and a new tstat did the trick, cleaned the sender connection while i was at it no harm in cleanliness eh?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mcmrose