Converting auto column to floor shifted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
Can a '76 auto column be 'converted' to floor shifted? Basically I want to remove all the guts of the auto column and change the piece that holds the shift arms.

Is this possible easily or should I just look for a new column?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Can a '76 auto column be 'converted' to floor shifted? Basically I want to remove all the guts of the auto column and change the piece that holds the shift arms.

Is this possible easily or should I just look for a new column?
Cut off the tab and make sure it's in park and the ack weld the tab remains to the housing or just tack weld the tab to the housing with out cutting it. Pop out the pin and remove the lever inside. The nub for the shifter makes a good tach mount.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What kind of shifter are putting in it? You will have to pull wire from the switch on the steering column to get things like the P N safety switch and back up lights. It's a PITA, but do it right. Route the wires under the carpet to the shifter cover and then wire in your micro switches and it'll work flawlessly.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What kind of shifter are putting in it? You will have to pull wire from the switch on the steering column to get things like the P N safety switch and back up lights. It's a PITA, but do it right. Route the wires under the carpet to the shifter cover and then wire in your micro switches and it'll work flawlessly.
I usually leave the neutral safety switch right where it's at. When I get out I clock the column to reverse instant immobilizer.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
Was a tilt floor shifted column ever offered factory?

I'm going to rewire the entire truck with an American Autowire kit to remove the glass fuses- so I'm not too concerned about the wiring aspect.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For manual transmission yes, but not for Automatic. So your switch that controls the P N Safety Switch, so you don't start it in Drive or Reverse, and the back up lights are on the column on the half moon switch. Eventually, that's what I'd like to find because I have all intentions of running a B&M QuickSilver shifter and that shifter has it's own micro swtiches built into it for the back up lights and P N Safety.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
yes that's fine.

I'm going to use a Lokar floor mounted shifter.

entertaining the idea of switching to a much later column that would have wipers and cruise control on the stalk. This would help me out.

but- I don't want a plastic column. So this may not work either.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So then you're wanting to go with an 84 or later column where the wipers and bright light switch was moved off the dash and floor to the multi-function switch aka the turn signal.

BTW, the column isn't plastic, it's an aluminum housing, but it does have a plastic cover just behind the steering wheel and over the multi-function switch. It's really not all that bad. You don't even realize it's a plastic cover.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
The part of the column that the shift arm attaches to is called a "shift bowl". "Blanks" are available. They are called "BOWL STRG COL FLR SHIFT".

Here's a picture GM 7812754, but I think it's only for for 81-83 non-tilt columns.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
is there anyway to get the part number for a blank shift bowl for the earlier columns?

Is there any chance the bowl from a not tilt will work on a tilt?

I can find non tilt floor shifted columns, but not tilt. My factory one is tilt- so I may be able to combine 2 into 1.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
can anyone confirm the material of the early style shift bowl on a column shift tilt column? I'm thinking I can grind off the lug on the bowl and braze it up, but I need to know if its pot metal I can use silicon bronze and if it's aluminum I'll have to use something else.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texdave