Convenional vs Synthetic

Conventional or Synthetic

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Some people swear by certain brands of oil... Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, whatever... However, keep in mind that there are only a few companies that actually make the base oils, and while there are different additive packages on different oils, they all meet the requirements, specifications, etc.

As long as you practice regular oil change intervals none of that stuff matters all that much for a naturally aspirated (not turbo/supercharged) daily driven regular vehicle. Whether it says Pennzoil or Havoline or O'Reilly on the label won't affect you. Go with what's the cheapest and/or on sale and save your money for stuff that's actually important.

Even with my employee discount at O'Reilly auto parts I find that Walmart is still often cheaper for oil. Whether you go for their house brand "Supertech" or a name brand oil that's on sale you can't go wrong with getting oil at Walmart.

Thank you sir!!!:happy107::waytogo:

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well--if you want protection @ -10F you better research what paraffins do at below freezing temperatures. Keep in mind any oil labeled as a Group III oil flows like molasses in cold weather which is bad for engine start up. Go with verified data to make your choice-synthetic oil is better across the board and especially for cold weather-know the differences not just opinions.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I have to ask you Iowan, do you have a job? It takes money to own and modify these squares and you list your age as 14. I know when I was 14 I was lucky to have a Schwinn and maybe $10 in my pocket, so if you have a truck that's actually yours I'm impressed. It's also curious that it's 12:30 in Iowa right now and you're online. Don't you go to school? If you're legit you should be proud of yourself, it's just that you remind me of a young kid that was on FSC talking about his vehicles and all the stuff he did to them. After a couple of months he finally posted some pics and they were all rc trucks.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Lol rc is cool! And i was acttually thinkin block heater for my 454 i imagine only good can come from keeping her from getting to cold idk

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I have to ask you Iowan, do you have a job? It takes money to own and modify these squares and you list your age as 14. I know when I was 14 I was lucky to have a Schwinn and maybe $10 in my pocket, so if you have a truck that's actually yours I'm impressed. It's also curious that it's 12:30 in Iowa right now and you're online. Don't you go to school? If you're legit you should be proud of yourself, it's just that you remind me of a young kid that was on FSC talking about his vehicles and all the stuff he did to them. After a couple of months he finally posted some pics and they were all rc trucks.

I don't have a job but I will in about a month or so, see at 14 I cant work but 4hrs. And I'm legit, I just can't figure out what a url is I'm not very tech savvy either. But I worked very,very,very hard for this truck it took me abut 4-5 months to find a truck like one time it was a 1995 f250 8' box dual tank for 500 and it was nice but I couldn't work on it and the sub-frame was hardly there. Another time a '87 C10 Sliverado dual tank in grey for 700 but it was a truck that sat for about 6 years and while it was nice it was just missing something so that didn't happen and I saw some more stuff and it just didn't have time to see or something didn't work like doors one guy said both doors broke and you had to craw through the window:). But then we found one more a 1980 C10/Big 10 with a 305 V8 that had a after market exhaust that leaked slightly leaked fumes and needs some new weather stripping had wing window and floor air vents and the tailgate pin was missing and it was 700 and we said yes:party36:. and I love it more than any thing I looked at and I can work on it my self! I'm also home schooled. so that's the story, And what is FSC?

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Lol rc is cool! And i was acttually thinkin block heater for my 454 i imagine only good can come from keeping her from getting to cold idk

A block heather for what?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Keep the oil from gettin to thick in freezing weather

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Fsc full size chevy

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I always felt that synthetic was a superior oil however I have yet to run it. I always ran dino oil with no problems. Mobil was my oil of choice only because my Mom worked for an oil packaging buisness and could get all my lube and coolant needs met for free. That said, being that Iowan is a young man with a limited budget my suggestion would be to run dino oil and save the extra cash for other maintenance items or fuel.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I don't have a job but I will in about a month or so, see at 14 I cant work but 4hrs. And I'm legit, I just can't figure out what a url is I'm not very tech savvy either. But I worked very,very,very hard for this truck it took me abut 4-5 months to find a truck like one time it was a 1995 f250 8' box dual tank for 500 and it was nice but I couldn't work on it and the sub-frame was hardly there. Another time a '87 C10 Sliverado dual tank in grey for 700 but it was a truck that sat for about 6 years and while it was nice it was just missing something so that didn't happen and I saw some more stuff and it just didn't have time to see or something didn't work like doors one guy said both doors broke and you had to craw through the window:). But then we found one more a 1980 C10/Big 10 with a 305 V8 that had a after market exhaust that leaked slightly leaked fumes and needs some new weather stripping had wing window and floor air vents and the tailgate pin was missing and it was 700 and we said yes:party36:. and I love it more than any thing I looked at and I can work on it my self! I'm also home schooled. so that's the story, And what is FSC?

A URL is a web address. IE: http://www.gmsquarebody.com is a URL. URL stands for Uniform Resource Locator.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Someone else has told me a second way to post with out a web address

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Now I'll take some nice super good cameras shots of it.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I plan on running non-name brand oil. Cause I'm not rich as the cow on the hill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike