Cleaning up the engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Get your self a metal break, an English wheel wouldn't hurt either. Lol a welder and some flap wheels, some dollies and hammers too...and a bead roller......ok I'm done being a wise ass.
And so then I'll continue a but more for you Honks...

Go to to Skill store and buy the biggest tub of Knowhowtofuggindoit.
And you'll need nice well lit BIIIIG shop to put all your tools your now found skill set will be hitting on.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
And so then I'll continue a but more for you Honks...

Go to to Skill store and buy the biggest tub of Knowhowtofuggindoit.
And you'll need nice well lit BIIIIG shop to put all your tools your now found skill set will be hitting on.
Thanks for the help [emoji108]
Glad your knowledgeable enough to help

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'm riveting these together, so I am going to have brackets riveted together in the corners for support anyways, I prefer the sleek look better

It's not just structural at the edges and mounting points, but all through the panel that the bead rolling increases rigidity. You can have a whole panel essentially framed with bracketry, but if it's flat stock, it will still have lateral movement in the middle. Whereas the same panel with beads rolled into it, will not have the give the first panel did. Think of it this way, all the flat stock will have a tendency to to move about as you go down the raod, creating a lot of "oil can" sounds. The extra rigidity of the beads will prevent the unwanted NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) of the panels flopping about at speed.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It's not just structural at the edges and mounting points, but all through the panel that the bead rolling increases rigidity. You can have a whole panel essentially framed with bracketry, but if it's flat stock, it will still have lateral movement in the middle. Whereas the same panel with beads rolled into it, will not have the give the first panel did. Think of it this way, all the flat stock will have a tendency to to move about as you go down the raod, creating a lot of "oil can" sounds. The extra rigidity of the beads will prevent the unwanted NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) of the panels flopping about at speed.
Now that's helpful information, would a design similar in a separate panel fastened to the back prevent that as well? Like on a hood for example but riveted together flat along with the cover?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Now that's helpful information, would a design similar in a separate panel fastened to the back prevent that as well? Like on a hood for example but riveted together flat along with the cover?

It would probably be stronger with a panel bond adhesive than rivets. But once you start building inner and outer panels like that, it begins to eat up space quickly.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It would probably be stronger with a panel bond adhesive than rivets. But once you start building inner and outer panels like that, it begins to eat up space quickly.
It should only be double the thickness, so it shouldn't add much more should it?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It should only be double the thickness, so it shouldn't add much more should it?

Simply doubling the metal won't add much strength. If you were to use an inner panel like your example of a hood, then it would need to have the same type of bends for strength that bead rolling would give. The difficult part would be if you tried to make it like the inner hood panel with all the cut outs for weight. It's an easy panel to make with a stamping press, a lot more difficult if you bead roll, then cut out. If you can find someone in your area that does that kind of custom engine bay stuff, it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to them and get a better idea on what's involved with building what your thinking of. They may be able to show you some ideas that don't have an excessive amount of bead rolling, but still have enough to be strong and provide a relatively clean look that you want.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Simply doubling the metal won't add much strength. If you were to use an inner panel like your example of a hood, then it would need to have the same type of bends for strength that bead rolling would give. The difficult part would be if you tried to make it like the inner hood panel with all the cut outs for weight. It's an easy panel to make with a stamping press, a lot more difficult if you bead roll, then cut out. If you can find someone in your area that does that kind of custom engine bay stuff, it wouldn't be a bad idea to talk to them and get a better idea on what's involved with building what your thinking of. They may be able to show you some ideas that don't have an excessive amount of bead rolling, but still have enough to be strong and provide a relatively clean look that you want.
Not much fabrication shops around, plenty of machine and welding, but most only cut, or weld what you want, most of the people around send measurements out of state and aren't cheap

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I'd be surprised if there's no one in the state that can make those panels. You'll probably need to hit the car show circuits, and ask around. Not all of those guys advertise. On the off road site up my way, there's a younger guy who got into rolling panels a couple years ago. Guy's a damn artist with a bead roller. Afaik, all his work is word of mouth.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'd be surprised if there's no one in the state that can make those panels. You'll probably need to hit the car show circuits, and ask around. Not all of those guys advertise. On the off road site up my way, there's a younger guy who got into rolling panels a couple years ago. Guy's a damn artist with a bead roller. Afaik, all his work is word of mouth.
I've been to a lot of car shows, the damn ricers have about taken them over, it's all plastic body panels

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The old guys with the vintage iron are out there somewhere. Just gotta find out where they hang out.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The old guys with the vintage iron are out there somewhere. Just gotta find out where they hang out.
Probably north of Indy on fridays, I can't do anything fridays cuz of work

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Car show season is about over here in the midwest anyhow. You've got all winter to track down where the oldtimers hang out for next year.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I guess I'm gonna have to post on some Facebook pages to see if there's anyone around, all the people I know with old cars are letting them rot or bought them how they were

CCSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
1985 & 1986
Truck Model
C10 & K5
Engine Size
4.3 & 5.7
Have you checked out roadster shop? I have been looking through the galleries on their website and it has several different cars and a few truck they have done. The pictures are very detailed on builds and most of them have the detailing in the engine bay like you are wanting. Most shops don't have build pictures as detailed as those. Just figured it may give you some ideas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128