Charge an extra battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Key off batteries will be isolated, you only need 14 or 16 gauge wire. The wire and fuse will be your amperage limiter you can't draw anymore than what 16 gauge wire will pass.Essentially your strain on the existing truck system will be about as much as a pair of driving lights. Relay 30 to truck battery + 87 to welder battery+ 85 to something hot when the trucks running 86 to ground. Yes the voltage will tell you if you're charging,charged,or low.And truck frame can be ground. This is almost identical to a factory dual battery set up is.Busy biab.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I haven't seen a factory setup but I am comparing my post 2 to post 3. Junction block to relay,there is their term 30,battery hot. Exciter wire that is their term 85,switched hot. Other wire from their relay goes to 2nd battery term 87. They didn't see their ground #86. I wouldn't bother boxing the relay,but you can. Truck off gauge will show welder battery voltage truck running will show charging voltage.

Last edited:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Because I don't enjoy walking that much, lol. My shop is on the edge of town, but the places I work off this truck ain't. As I head north from here being 10, 15 miles from a house is not uncommon, plus they ain't home during the day. Have a couple jobs lined up there to do. Cell phones don't work up there, hell may or may not work at the shop. The pens we built and posted pictures of in the Farming and Ranching thread were a 5 mile walk to the nearest black top, is a county road 2 miles away,in the wrong direction, and someone may or may not be going down it. I want the truck to have a good hot battery.
I don't think itd kill your battery, especially if you keep the truck running when you start it

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I haven't seen a factory setup I'm using the description someone gave in their post. Junction block to relay,there is their term 30,battery hot. Exciter wire that is their term 85,switched hot. Other wire from their relay goes to 2nd battery term 87. They didn't see their ground #86. I wouldn't bother boxing the relay,but you can. Truck off gauge will show welder battery voltage truck running will show charging voltage.
I get ya! Don't mean a box, just a panel That can be mounted to the truck, relay has to be mounted somewhere why not there handy. Figure in the cab is better than the engine compartment.
Thanks again, I'll post up something as I get it done.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I don't think itd kill your battery, especially if you keep the truck running when you start it
Lol.Wonder which of us the most hardheaded? Appreciate you Ayden, but I'm having 2 damn batteries. Quit arguing with your elders even if they ain't very smart. And, find the humor in all this.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Because I don't enjoy walking that much, lol. My shop is on the edge of town, but the places I work off this truck ain't. As I head north from here being 10, 15 miles from a house is not uncommon, plus they ain't home during the day. Have a couple jobs lined up there to do. Cell phones don't work up there, hell may or may not work at the shop. The pens we built and posted pictures of in the Farming and Ranching thread were a 5 mile walk to the nearest black top, is a county road 2 miles away,in the wrong direction, and someone may or may not be going down it. I want the truck to have a good hot battery.
And the cost of that length of battery lead or chopping up some welding cable is likely more costly especially if already have a good battery for the welder.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Finally got the time. Works just like you said @Ricko1966. Many thanks to everyone. Drilled more holes in the truck than I wanted to but.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Believe I'm going to put a fuse off the welder battery, just to be safe.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Great thread @wanderinthru , these guys are sharp! Great job. Would you go by Mid Point cafe and have a piece of apple pie for me and buy me a Route 66 decal and send it to me? Mine is coming off my bag…

Randy

Attachments

• 5657194F-7374-49FB-A5F6-E2DE0AA47A29.jpeg
    5657194F-7374-49FB-A5F6-E2DE0AA47A29.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 30

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Great thread @wanderinthru , these guys are sharp! Great job. Would you go by Mid Point cafe and have a piece of apple pie for me and buy me a Route 66 decal and send it to me? Mine is coming off my bag…

Randy
Nope! I like the coconut. Will get you a sticker if you need another one tho.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Never had the coconut, but we have stop by as often as we can. Buddy and I ride long distance Harley’s and did Route 66 Chicago to LA in 2010. We try and put as many trips north through the panhandle as we can to get more Rt 66 stuff and pie at Mid Point Cafe!

Thanks for the offer, We should be through in late April for our spring ride.

Randy

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I have the battery on my trailer wired thru the 7 blade trailer plug, into a 10 gauge wire protected by a 20 amp fuse. My trailer sometimes sits for months, so the battery will be low when I use it. The truck has never failed to charge it, and it’s been wired like this for the last 10 years.

If it makes you feel better, wire the charging wire thru a relay that is triggered by an ignition power source. That way, the battery is charged only with the ignition on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard