Center Dash Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thepeoplesd

Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
BP 383
After being displeased with the radio head unit location I searched all over and couldn't find anyone who had moved it. I drive an 84 chevy k20 with a 383 BP motor I recently installed. Working on revamping the whole interior and decided to go for a top center dash head unit install. I have a new dash from lmc and decided to use the old one as a template and run with it. A little big of angle grinding and here's what I came up with. Cuts are ugly but I will take my time with the new dash and post once I have a finished product. Excited to see what everyone thinks.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hands down the most natural place for one - far easier access too.

Not my pics but I'm doing something very similar....but more OE looking.

You must be registered for see images attach

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
Anyone else done this? Makes sense to me, when done right.

Sorry guys, i need a modern headunit lol.

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I haven't started bought anything yet, but my plan is to get one of the modular head units from pioneer, something like this. My dash is uncut and I'd like to keep it that way. So I will try to mount the main body of the head unit in the stock radio location and put a blank plate over it once installed to pretty it up. I will probably mount the screen portion in a similar location as the OP did. I did find a writeup on how to retain the factory volume knob with newer radios that I want to try. The chunky physical knobs on the factory stereo are part of these trucks charm imo. Might look at turning the tuner dial into a 12v port or something.

I'm still in the planning stages, but that seems like the best option I've found to get a touchscreen stereo into these without completely hacking up the dash

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
They make single DIN head units with big touch screens that are somewhat adjustable in angle and vertical position. I've thought about one for my 90 because it was DIN from the factory. But the large price tag has kept me using my existing single DIN head unit bc it already has blue tooth capability and I just don't NEED more....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag