Cause of loose steering ? 8”lift 40”tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lirfted84jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Just got the truck , so don’t know about what was done before

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Possible play in the Saginaw box and possible worn rag joint in the intermediate steering shaft. You have to turn the wheel and watch the wheels at the same time to see how well your input translates to the wheels. Other than that, you’re gonna have to jack it up and check for play by moving the wheels. You need to check your tie rod ends, drag links, and Pitman arm. While you’re there, it’s a good idea to check up and down play on the wheels, too. That may or may not have anything to do with your steering slack, but knowing if something like your ball joints are bad is important.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Hmmm 8 inches of lift and 40 inch tires... So, starting from there, make sure the wheels are not bent and the tires are balanced. Working inwards check and make sure your rotors are not warped, then check your wheel bearings and make sure those are not worn. From there check your front ball joints. Once you get that far check your steering knuckles and drag link joints, then the steering box and make sure the frame doesn't have a crack in it. Once you get all those things checked you'll probably find and fix the loose steering part.

If you have any death wobble make sure and check your spring hangers and shocks.

Any questions left?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Also check the bushings on the front shackles and springs. When I added my new springs, I noticed the holes in the frame bushings were oblong due to the rubber wearing out. I replaced mine with greaseable poly ones from ORD.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Define "loose steering".

I think many people get out of their FWD rides ad step imto a square like ewwwwww.
It runs a rag joint dude. There maybe nothing wrong with it, that's just how it is.
30-40 year old RWD feels a bit different.

Lol?

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
OH yeah, check the rag joint. I forgot that one but that is because I replaced it with a Jeep steering shaft.

Lirfted84jimmy

Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Ok , this is my fire lifted truck this big so it felt funny but now I feel like it handles great , it’s a whole nother world riding high with big tires , but here’s some pics

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Might want you o invest in a drop pitman arm. You have a raised steering arm already. Fix your brake line before you rip it off too. Swap in an XJ steering shaft to and get rid of that rag joint.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Yeah that angle on the pitman arm and drag link can cause some pretty extreme bumpsteer so that might be contributing to your loose feeling steering, especially if you are driving on roads that are bumpy.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Happens here a LOT.
Culture shock.
Big difference pushin all that weight rather than gettin dragged around everywhere!

There are many " WTF my steering is loose" threads that pop up - if you stick around you'll see em.

Good thing you posted those pics. I'm with the pitman arm posse. Looks ..... undesireable, and yes, probably creates some shimmy in the steering wheel.
Ol Dude was talkin about the brake lines because they're just chillin! Floating in mid air! All it would take is one little stick or a rock to mess up your day! Some wire?

Good idea to getcha some zip ties or something and try to "tuck em in" or something. Find em some sort of support and you'll be better off.

We're a mostly friendly bunch of dudes round here that some find helpful.

Good luck!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
kinda reading up on the rag joint. is it unfavorable in an average height truck?

as stiff as my truck is, i actually feel like it tracks well through the twisties in my area. just wondering...

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
kinda reading up on the rag joint. is it unfavorable in an average height truck?

as stiff as my truck is, i actually feel like it tracks well through the twisties in my area. just wondering...
By going to the XJ shaft it just eliminates one steering issue that gets forgotten about until it’s to late and you lose your steering.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I've never had any problem with a rag joint. Not from my first car to the one I just bought.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I think everyone says that until they change to the solid shaft and then they realize they had play in their steering shaft.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
It's not like i'm road racing a 40 year old truck through the twistys , against the clock , on my way to freakin 7-11...
It's fine.
It has always been fine.
It's fine drag racing a 12 second car and it has absolutely nothing to do with tracking, like op is talking about. Total non issue.
Never heard of a "failure" out of the millions upon millions of rag joints on the road TODAY..

Are they not interlocked and failure is impossible?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128