Carb vacuum cap blowing off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaredpears

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
So a few months back I deleted every vacuum line out of the engine bay, and all that’s left is the brake booster, and vacuum advance. If your looking at the carb from the front (stock 83 q-jet) the top left vacuum port blows its cap off about once a month, and then it still runs good but it’ll die if I give it more than 10%ish throttle, does anyone know why only that one keeps coming off?

jaredpears

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
this one

Attachments

• IMG_2504.jpeg
    IMG_2504.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 66

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
PCV line to carburetor is also missing, so did you also remove your PCV system? The PCV system prevents crankcase pressure build-up and also removes moisture. Keeps the engine healthy. No idea if it could be related to a blowing the cap off a vacuum port.

jaredpears

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 suburban
Engine Size
PCV line to carburetor is also missing, so did you also remove your PCV system? The PCV system prevents crankcase pressure build-up and also removes moisture. Keeps the engine healthy. No idea if it could be related to a blowing the cap off a vacuum port.
I have both sides vented into the air cleaner

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Get a better plug. Those kind get soft when warm and if engine hiccups or maybe even deceleration might pop it off at the right time is my only thought.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Pics. Not kidding,see why I said it? Okay venting both valve covers into the air cleaner isn't good you need to get pcv working again. I see more problems,it's late I'll get back on this tomorrow. One of the biggest problems I see is you've blocked the float bowl vent. I theorize as fuel evaporates since it can no longer vent to the charcoal canister as its supposed to its pushing the cap off of port b. I do not know every qjet by heart blah blah but I think yours has vacuum operated valves in it that dictate whether the vent in the air cleaner or the external vent are used depending on if the engine is running.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35