Carb help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Ok questions about vacuum lines. Since I trying to put this together will a ton of missing pieces.

There are 6 vacuum ports.
A) One on the back on the hat.

Then the 5 on the front.

B) Two big ones. I know one is for brakes and I assume one for PCV ? Which one is for the brakes, the on the 'base' or the lower port, or the one in the middle of the carb?

C) That leaves 3 smaller ones on the front. Which goes to what?

Specifically which goes to the timing advance? Also, which goes to the HVAC???
The rest might get plugged for the time being.

There should be a threaded port in the back, use that for your brakes. If you don't have that, remove a plug from the intake and put a NPT barb in it for your brakes.

In the front, the larger port is for PCV.

The small port furthest to the right, looking at the front of the carb, is what I would use for the distributor.

I would cap all other ports and all other manifold ports until you work out what accessories need vacuum from where. The three lines above will get you up and running "correctly" with power brakes and vacuum advance.

The TV cable should hook up like this,

You must be registered for see images attach

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
There should be a threaded port in the back, use that for your brakes. If you don't have that, remove a plug from the intake and put a NPT barb in it for your brakes.

The small port furthest to the right, looking at the front of the carb, is what I would use for the distributor.

I would cap all other ports and all other manifold ports until you work out what accessories need vacuum from where. The three lines above will get you up and running "correctly" with power brakes and vacuum advance.

Yeah, looks like the PO put a small bolt where the brake hose would go. Looks like Im looking for that threaded barb.... *sigh*

Im glad I picked up a bunch of plugs.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yeah, looks like the PO put a small bolt where the brake hose would go. Looks like Im looking for that threaded barb.... *sigh*

Im glad I picked up a bunch of plugs.

I've used regular NPT barbs from the hardware store before.

Reactions: WFO

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Ok, had to run to a few parts stores... ugh, I really like the O'Reilly's, but they didnt have the NPT barb. There is an older "old school" dude in there. If I dont know exactly what I am looking for, he knows it. Sadly the guy younger than me tried helping me. He didnt even know what the red and blue AN hose fittings were... which is where I know AZ had this barb.

THAT SAID...

She went on her maiden voyage tonight! On the second time "around the block", the choke connector fell off and it went into a high idle and then I ejected the return spring, somewhere not to be found. So I have to buy a new spring and make sure that I have it secured.

I also have to find out why it bogged down while trying to put my foot into it. I think there is something up with the TV cable and the transmission.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
THANK Y'ALL FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Ok, had to run to a few parts stores... ugh, I really like the O'Reilly's, but they didnt have the NPT barb. There is an older "old school" dude in there. If I dont know exactly what I am looking for, he knows it. Sadly the guy younger than me tried helping me. He didnt even know what the red and blue AN hose fittings were... which is where I know AZ had this barb.

THAT SAID...

She went on her maiden voyage tonight! On the second time "around the block", the choke connector fell off and it went into a high idle and then I ejected the return spring, somewhere not to be found. So I have to buy a new spring and make sure that I have it secured.

I also have to find out why it bogged down while trying to put my foot into it. I think there is something up with the TV cable and the transmission.

Good deal! Man that's a good feeling isn't it?

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
It is... I just need to figure out how to run this throttle return spring. And I guess the bracket for the TV cable isnt bolted down. That might be why it doesnt feel like it drops down a gear and bogs down. So I have to figure out how that is supposed to bolt down. Ill take pictures here in a few.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
You can put your return spring wherever it's convenient, as long as it closes the throttle lol. I like to put min up top, pulling back towards the firewall, but I've run them from the bottom froward towards the rad also, depending on what I had to hook to and how long the spring was. Again, your local hardware should have misc springs you can pick up if yours just won't work.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Ok, here is a pic of the carb showing the linkage and the cam. I figured the bottom hole with the plastic grommet was for the throttle return spring. The TV cable bracket slides, so I am going to try to bolt down the bracket and then adjust the TV cable.

This is from the side of the brackets. Im not sure how all of this is supposed to bolt up. Ideas appreciated.

This is from the top of the bracket. It really doesnt show much.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Also by the RPO, this was a 3 speed truck, also by the gear indicator, it was a 3 speed. It now has a 700r4 in it, so Im not even sure if the brackets are correct.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Also by the RPO, this was a 3 speed truck, also by the gear indicator, it was a 3 speed. It now has a 700r4 in it, so Im not even sure if the brackets are correct.

It doesn't look like they are, however, if you can get it locked down, it will work for the interim. There should be a horizontal bolt through it also, but one may hold it.

To adjust, just follow the directions. Push the little clip all the way in, and then open the throttle all the way (engine off). That should give you a 1-2 shift by 15 mph, 2-3 should happen around 25-30. Most of the time, except when it doesn't lol. It's a rough rule of thumb, you'd need a gauge on the pressure port to set it by the book.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Soooooo
Maiden voyage ver 2.0
I was at the parts store to get springs and I saw a Mr. Gasket throttle cable bracket with transmission cable bracket. After some modifying, I learned that the new TV bracket would not work as it put the cable too far away from the carb. So I have a hybrid of new throttle cable bracket with old TV bracket. And then connected the L bracket from the dual springs to the new bracket and now have a working system.

Now Im still getting bogging while WOT. So I think I have a timing issue or coil issue.

Lesson learned: Check your transmission fluid, I think Im 1 or 2 qts low. Back to the parts store tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help! I think we will call this "cased closed".

Handy Andy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
sierra 1500
Engine Size
Not sure if anyone answered your questions about those items in the pictures or not. One of those items you have labeled as "WHat is This?" is going to be a switch for the torque converter lockup. If I remember right, it's the one that has the brown and yellow wires coming out the back of it. What it does is when you put your foot into the throttle, the vacuum goes down, and opens the switch causing the torque converter to come out of lockup. There is also another switch under the dash on the brake pedal that is wired up in series with that switch on your firewall. Both switches do the same thing, just with different triggers. M

My Transmission guy that just rebuilt my 700r4 told me I could go ahead and just bypass one of those switches so that the trans just goes straight into lockup when it shifts into 4th.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Not sure if anyone answered your questions about those items in the pictures or not. One of those items you have labeled as "WHat is This?" is going to be a switch for the torque converter lockup. If I remember right, it's the one that has the brown and yellow wires coming out the back of it. What it does is when you put your foot into the throttle, the vacuum goes down, and opens the switch causing the torque converter to come out of lockup. There is also another switch under the dash on the brake pedal that is wired up in series with that switch on your firewall. Both switches do the same thing, just with different triggers. M

My Transmission guy that just rebuilt my 700r4 told me I could go ahead and just bypass one of those switches so that the trans just goes straight into lockup when it shifts into 4th.

Interesting. I'm going to have to look at hr pics again. I'd surely like the TC to unlock when I put my foot into it.

I also think I found where the vacuum goes to the HVAC, so I have to connect that up.

Thanks for the heads up.

spanky55amg

Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Not sure if anyone answered your questions about those items in the pictures or not. One of those items you have labeled as "WHat is This?" is going to be a switch for the torque converter lockup. If I remember right, it's the one that has the brown and yellow wires coming out the back of it. What it does is when you put your foot into the throttle, the vacuum goes down, and opens the switch causing the torque converter to come out of lockup. There is also another switch under the dash on the brake pedal that is wired up in series with that switch on your firewall. Both switches do the same thing, just with different triggers.

Ahhhh. I see. It's the part on the passenger firewall. And that part was connected. Mhmm. So do I tee into the vacuum line for the timing advance or put it on its own port... mhmm.

I have two ports open. I used the passenger side port for the timing advance. I have the middle and drivers vacuum ports left. I wished I remembered what provides how much vacuum when. And good luck trying to look that info up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sahara