Carb and Intake Upgrade for '84 K5(350c.i.)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

balee00

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 c.i.
I'm looking to upgrade the stock mess of choked out carb and intake on my '84 K5. I'm leaning toward an Edelbrock Performer and Edlebrock carb, but not really sure what direction I should try to go. I'm new to these '80's choked out motors, and quite frankly, I'm done trying to make this thing run decent with all the spaghetti of vacuum lines and old sensors. I just want to go conventional like my first old school '74 Cheyenne. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Man, California really killed these motors!

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I am more of a 70's square guy but I have had the best luck on close to stock motors with the eddie performer intake and a quadrajet from either smi or jet. I am not a eddie carb fan , especially for off road use , (they flood out on side hills even with off road needle and seats).I am a fan of the q-jet for a 4x4 and I only buy smi or jet , all other reman's have been junk in the q-jet world for me.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree. The carb isn't the problem on your truck. The Quadrajet is a more modern design than a Holley or Edelbrock being built tomorrow, and that thing is rated at 750 CFM (800 for motorhomes). However, it only takes in as much air as your engine needs. I think a good intake for you would be the Edelbrock 2101. You can get rid of your air injection, EGR, EFE, and all the little TVS's, delay valves, and diverters that control that stuff. I'd keep your PCV and evap canister simply because they help without hurting anything, and you'll still need the stuff related to the HVAC, cruise control, and lockup stuff if you're running a 700R4 or TH350C. Honestly, it's not realistic to just gung ho get rid of everything, but the air injection system, EGR, and EFE are three big ones that would clean things up and give it a few more ponies.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Great advice here... both posts.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
2 words.....Flying Toilet.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Kidding of course. FI-Tech or Holley not a fan of either Slobber jet or the Eddelturd.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
2 words.....Flying Toilet.....

You must be registered for see images attach

Kidding of course. FI-Tech or Holley not a fan of either Slobber jet or the Eddelturd.
I know a guy running the toilet on a 383 low 6's in a s10. Bad ass little truck.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I know a guy running the toilet on a 383 low 6's in a s10. Bad ass little truck.
My neighbor had one on a 72 Nova and drove it on the street all over the place.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My neighbor had one on a 72 Nova and drove it on the street all over the place.
I know of a guy who ruined a 20k dollar AMC engine running one on the street on alky. He has a Dominator and C16 now.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I know of a guy who ruined a 20k dollar AMC engine running one on the street on alky. He has a Dominator and C16 now.
How did he manage to do that, they are an absolute no brainer to tune, wish they made them for gas... I have an Eddie Pro-Ram tunnelram and an old Crower upright 8 holer, thought about putting that on the C10 that would be cool as hell, and a great conversation piece..:D

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
How did he manage to do that, they are an absolute no brainer to tune, wish they made them for gas... I have an Eddie Pro-Ram tunnelram and an old Crower upright 8 holer, thought about putting that on the C10 that would be cool as hell, and a great conversation piece..:D
It was 99% race car it would just flood. Its first pass it ran 8.50s

balee00

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 c.i.
Ok, so I'm way out of the loop here! What is a flying toilet? It's been years (decades) since I've played with older vehicles, so the terminology must have changed some! Help a brotha out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL