Carb and intake suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigSexy78

Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got a 1978 c10 w/ 350 and th350 that's bone stock with the qaudrajet and would like to get something that's easier to tune and smoother to drive for a daily driver

82flatdeck

Reaction score
First Name
rylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k3500
Engine Size
Edelbrock performer 600cfm vac seconday carb and edelbrock performer rpm intake is pretty much the go to for easy tune and decent performance.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Have the quadrajet rebuilt by a competent rebuilder, run it on a spreadbore intake that's best suited for the driving you'll be doing and forget about it.

kenny78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer(2) k30&k20
Engine Size
A 1406 is the first carb I did anything but clean on. It came with the truck and ran horrible. The library near where I lived had:How to rebuild and modify edelbrock by Dave Emmanuel

Good book for learning. Buy a calibration kit and your on the road. It ran as good as I could expect. Reason I ditched it and learned quadrajets was that even with every mod-spring needle-lower float etc it sucked off-road. If yours is a 2wd street truck as a c10 indicates it should serve you well.

Can't help but say a proper application or setup quadrajet doesn't need any tuning-runs great-sounds cooler when you stomp on it EDIT agree with post above. Posted while I was typing

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I would say exactly what @CSFJ said on the carb and an Edelbrock 2101 on the intake. If you for some reason need to keep the EGR valve, Edelbrock 3701.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
All of my previous experience has been Q-jet. I can tell you what not to run. The PO of my truck put on a Holley 650 double pumper... do not run that.
I am waiting on my Q-jet to come in. When I was in tech school, a while ago, I learned carbs from my driveability professor. He had 20+ years experience on GM vehicles. He had a drag race early 80's Malibu that was running low low 8's 1/8th mile with a Q-jet.

Stick with the q-jet. if you dont want to rebuild it, have someone else rebuild it and like said before, run a spread bore intake of your liking... Unless you plan on modding your engine.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Q jet still my favorite. I can pick them up at the wrecking yard dirt cheap, all I really do is save good bases that have no slop on the throttle shaft, the power valve needles, the secondary hangers and needles and the jets. I only bother with '75 on quadrapukes, I try to find the 800 cfm ones if possible.
800 cfm primaries look like this with the little hump in the side.
You must be registered for see images attach

BigSexy78

Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought a reman q-jet from summit and I don't know what happened but it doesn't run very smooth and I do plan to upgrade it with at least headers and a bigger cam.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
You can still buy a Qudrajet rebuild kit from Cliff Ruggles, or pay him to rebuild your Quadrajet. If you aren't sure you want to build it yourself, I would give him a call and see what he charges. I believe he actually tests each Quadrajet he rebuilds (engine/simulator?).

Bruce

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My understanding of rebuilds from say Summit or Holley is that they are rebuilt using low quality parts and not in the U.S. or Canada. What you need, as aforementioned is a kit from Cliff Ruggles, Mountain Man, Quadrajet Power, etc. or to send it to one of them to have it rebuilt correctly. Good Quadrajet are like beer. You can buy crappy Natural Light Quadrajets from any Walmart or corner store for less, or you can pay more for a more local, professionally made artisan/craft Quadrajet that will be more satisfying in the long run.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
My understanding of rebuilds from say Summit or Holley is that they are rebuilt using low quality parts and not in the U.S. or Canada. What you need, as aforementioned is a kit from Cliff Ruggles, Mountain Man, Quadrajet Power, etc. or to send it to one of them to have it rebuilt correctly. Good Quadrajet are like beer. You can buy crappy Natural Light Quadrajets from any Walmart or corner store for less, or you can pay more for a more local, professionally made artisan/craft Quadrajet that will be more satisfying in the long run.
If that's the case is a Holley whiskey, and EFI scotch?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Haha, I think that's a fair statement. Of course there are plenty of carb guys that would invert that analogy.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
After buying the truck I wanted better mileage. Had the Qjet rebuilt locally. Mileage never changed. So I bought a new Demon carb. Not that I have issues with the Demon, but I hadn't read the "stick with Qjet for power/mileage" yet. Really wish I'd sent the Qjet off and had it rebuilt. Since all my focus/money is on the LS swap, I don't have time to tune the Demon to my needs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MixManSC