Car doesn't wana start sometimes help !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

labbetheking

Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hi there! got myself a -78 chevy c10 350sb and sometimes she just "clicks" when i turn the key
even though the battery is 100% full and suddenly it can start turning and starts when i try to turn the
key once again. Feels like the car eats alot of battery when i try to start aswell because it can be alittle
hard to start even when she's warm.

Tried to put a extra ground to the engine from the minus pole on the battery but still no difference.
Could it be the ground from the startengine or the startengine itself maybe.

What's most likely to be wrong?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Sounds like the starter solenoid is going bad.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I realize you're from Sweden, but let's not offend our trucks calling them a car and giving it an identity crisis. You may or may not know USA is all up in crisis over transgenders these days and identity crisis. We can't help that, but we can help it with out trucks. :laughing1: Jus Kidding, Jus Kidding. I hear people here even calling their SUV a car and I want to correct them all the time but I don't. Being that you're in Sweden, you can't knock me in the head so I can correct you without harm.

My guess is going to be battery cables. Maybe even just the terminals at the battery posts. They may look clean, especially if they're side post, but if you take them off, you might see otherwise. The other problem that happens especially with side posts, it the bumps will dig into the soft lead of the battery post and eventually, probably from vibration, the bumps become loose. To correct that, simply loosen the terminal, turn the terminal about an 1/8 to 1/4 turn and retighten so it's grabbing a new spot in the battery post.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
You should check for voltage drop across the positive battery cable. If you're loosing voltage across the cable, it needs to be replaced. Otherwise, I'd suspect the starter motor because the solenoid's clicking. You can tap on the starter body with a hammer and see if you can get a few more starts out of it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You guys are making sense suggesting the solenoid, but I'd still check those terminals first. Seen it a million times tow truck driving and doing jump box starts, especially the side posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406