can you change a 6 lug front axle to 8 lug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How much stronger are the 8 lugs? Are they worth the extra money when they break? Because they will break...and you'd have to buy new wheels are redrill centers..

Not entirely sure what you are asking, but the axle assembly itself is no stronger. However, there are 8 giant lugs rather than 6 dinky ones. And the brakes are stronger because the rotors are much bigger in diameter.

adamv7010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
adam
Truck Year
1984, 1982
Truck Model
k10 silverado, k10 suburban
Engine Size
Essentially what I was asking...you just worded it better...

I can't see myself needing to go through th trouble swapping when 90% of my offloading is on a flat dry dirt path lol

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I know this post is old, but can someone please tell me what 8 lug rear end will bolt up to a 1987 V10 suburban with 6lug axles and 52" rear leaf springs with no modifications??

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I know this post is old, but can someone please tell me what 8 lug rear end will bolt up to a 1987 V10 suburban with 6lug axles and 52" rear leaf springs with no modifications??

any 3/4 squarebody 14 bolt will bolt in. There is a cutoff in 76 or 78 when they changed from a full floater to a semi floater for 3/4 . You will need the plates and ubolts from the 3/4 truck too.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
any 3/4 squarebody 14 bolt will bolt in. There is a cutoff in 76 or 78 when they changed from a full floater to a semi floater for 3/4 . You will need the plates and ubolts from the 3/4 truck too.

Do you know if a k30 DRW axle will bolt right up? The goal is to make a dually suburban (for looks really) I know it sounds juvenile. I'm not a fabricator, so I need a direct swap.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Do you know if a k30 DRW axle will bolt right up? The goal is to make a dually suburban (for looks really) I know it sounds juvenile. I'm not a fabricator, so I need a direct swap.

Not a direct swap, the mounts are in different locations.

Last edited:

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
I would think you need a 3/4 ton suburban 8 lug axle. I don't believe a drw axle is going to bolt right up to a suburban. The spring perch locations will not match. If you can get yourself a 14 bolt full floater axle from a 3/4 ton square suburban, you could go with the conversion kit from Arrowcraft. Keep in mind, if you want the front to have the dually style wheels, you will have to convert your front axle to an 8-lug hub also. Best bet may be to get the front and rear axle from a 4wd 3/4 ton burb, then buy the Arrowcraft conversion kit.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I would think you need a 3/4 ton suburban 8 lug axle. I don't believe a drw axle is going to bolt right up to a suburban. The spring perch locations will not match. If you can get yourself a 14 bolt full floater axle from a 3/4 ton square suburban, you could go with the conversion kit from Arrowcraft. Keep in mind, if you want the front to have the dually style wheels, you will have to convert your front axle to an 8-lug hub also. Best bet may be to get the front and rear axle from a 4wd 3/4 ton burb, then buy the Arrowcraft conversion kit.

You're probably right. I was afraid to go that route cuz I am not a fan of wheel adapters. That seems to be my only option though, so thanks.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
You're probably right. I was afraid to go that route cuz I am not a fan of wheel adapters. That seems to be my only option though, so thanks.

If you're just wanting it for looks, I don't think the Arrowcraft kit will be a bad route to go. I think they have been around for a while. If you want a dually setup for function (heavy towing), then your best bet would be to buy a true drw axle (dana 60/70) and have the spring perches relocated. I know you said you're not a "fabricator", but you can probably get someone to cut off the original perches and weld on some new ones for not too terribly much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shake1969