Can I add a electric choke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 78 doesn't have a choke on it and is a bear to start when it's cold. I would like to add a choke if possible, or do I need to put a different carb? Not sure what model the carb is, just know its a Quadrajet.
You must be registered for see images attach

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You should be able to remove the cover plate on your manifold, and add a bi-metal coil and linkage to get your choke going.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep, remove that wire that's holding the choke open and put these parts back on is all that's needed..

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Your carb is from a "divorced choke" model and your intake is a hot air choke model.
The piece of mechanics wire around the vacuum port with the blue cap is holding the choke open.

Easy way to solve your problem, get an electric choke conversion from carbsonly. Com or check the interwebs for a similar kit.

Last edited:

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
quadrajetparts.com/mobile/electronic-choke-conversion-kit-chevy-350-400-mp-399.html?redirectCancelled=true

I did a quick search and this should work for you

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
quadrajetparts.com/mobile/electronic-choke-conversion-kit-chevy-350-400-mp-399.html?redirectCancelled=true

I did a quick search and this should work for you

Thanks for the help, I was hoping I could do an elecric choke. I've never been very good with carbs.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

After looking at the Quadrajetparts web site, the two kits that are for a 78 are for a 400, I have a 350, so I wonder if they will work right.

I looked at the kit for the divorced choke coil that mounts on the manifold, and I would need to buy the mounting bracket/block off plate also. This option is about $35 more expensive. I don't think I have an old manifold laying around wth a coil on it, but I will look in my shop and see.

The $35 isn't a deal breaker, I just want a functioning choke. Will the electric work as good as the coil or should I go with the coil setup? It gets really cold up here and I am going to use this truck as my plow rig for a while, so I want the most effeciant setup.

Last edited:

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
After looking at the Quadrajetparts web site, the two kits that are for a 78 are for a 400, I have a 350, so I wonder if they will work right.

I looked at the kit for the divorced choke coil that mounts on the manifold, and I would need to buy the mounting bracket/block off plate also. This option is about $35 more expensive. I don't think I have an old manifold laying around wth a coil on it, but I will look in my shop and see.

The $35 isn't a deal breaker, I just want a functioning choke. Will the electric work as good as the coil or should I go with the coil setup? It gets really cold up here and I am going to use this truck as my plow rig for a while, so I want the most effeciant setup.

The intake you have now will not work with a divorced choke, buy the electric or swap intakes.
The kit you need is for the carb with a divorced choke, the year and engine size do not matter.

I have only lived where it snows for a couple of years so I am the wrong person to answer the question about which is better. :)

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Nah, he's right. Year and engine size are not your concern. It'll work with your intake.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Block heater. You’d think that was standard issue in that area gas or oil hammer.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Block heater. You’d think that was standard issue in that area gas or oil hammer.

I will be adding one, but rarely use them unless it gets really cold. I have been having trouble starting the K10 even in the 30's and 40's.

I thought it was funny when I bought my TDI Beetle that the cold weather kit came with heated seats and mirrors, but no block heater.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I will be adding one, but rarely use them unless it gets really cold. I have been having trouble starting the K10 even in the 30's and 40's.

I thought it was funny when I bought my TDI Beetle that the cold weather kit came with heated seats and mirrors, but no block heater.
Yeah after 95 block heaters went by the wayside they were available but not installed as standard anymore. I guess they figured they had everything figured out electrically they were archaic and wasteful but I highly disagree. A block heater on a TDI prolongs their serviceable life. You know how it runs when you start yours cold don’t seam to happy does it. Then there is ether bad idea lol silicone spray does the same thing and is way safer for starting an oil hammer.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah after 95 block heaters went by the wayside they were available but not installed as standard anymore. I guess they figured they had everything figured out electrically they were archaic and wasteful but I highly disagree. A block heater on a TDI prolongs their serviceable life. You know how it runs when you start yours cold don’t seam to happy does it. Then there is ether bad idea lol silicone spray does the same thing and is way safer for starting an oil hammer.

I was gonna add a block heater, but the engine compartment is so crowded that I decided it would be too much work. Its sitting at 199,000 and still going strong, so I don't think the lack of the heater hurt it, and it still gets 40mpg.

I avoid ether too, if it won't start, I just wait for the weather to warm up, but that has on;ly happened a couple of times.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm no expert, either, but the electric choke heater is energized with a circuit that has an oil pressure switch in its stock form. Plenty of people run them directly to a 12V IGN source, and it's not a big deal if you do that. On the other hand, if you leave the key on with the engine off for whatever reason and want to start it cold, your choke will be open which would kinda be a thorn in your side. The divorced choke does not have that to consider. Electric works great for me using the stock circuit. Starts as well as an FI vehicle. However, I've never had a divorced choke vehicle so part of me would be inclined to go for that just to see how it goes.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I switched to an electric choke on my Quadrajet, and it works very well.

I found a wire on the passenger side inner fender (brown, I think), that was there to power the relay for the dual battery option in my Camper Special. It is ignition switched, so it was a good choice to power the choke.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL