Camshaft discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Wait a minute..do you aim to tell me there are people that are NOT utilizing magnets on their fuel line?

Srsly?

If you're gonna swap cams all the time, reckon you'll have to get one of them three piece-? timing covers?
That makes the choice eazy between aluminum or zinc. I never seen a zinc one, lol.
Zinc oil pan in a 4x4, aluminum in a 2wd.
Right?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ok, how many miles do you have on a retro roller engine? Do you have or know of any converted engines with say 150,000 miles on them and still running strong?
Let keep things in perspective please, remember I'm talking about a daily driver that we want to run hard and steady for years. You know, like these engines were designed to do from the factory.

I've got zero miles on my engine. One of these days it will get stuck in my truck, which I had always intended to daily drive in the warmer months and take on out of state trips.

I don't disagree on your arguments for why an aftermarket roller can fail. However, I also believe that those exact reasons apply tenfold to a flat tappet lifter. Lifter bore tolorances and oil supply are far more important with a flat tappet than they are with a roller.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I've got zero miles on my engine. One of these days it will get stuck in my truck, which I had always intended to daily drive in the warmer months and take on out of state trips.

I don't disagree on your arguments for why an aftermarket roller can fail. However, I also believe that those exact reasons apply tenfold to a flat tappet lifter. Lifter bore tolorances and oil supply are far more important with a flat tappet than they are with a roller.

I'm certainly not against retro rollers and wish they were reliable enough for my 496 build. When I button it up I want 150,000 trouble free miles.
Like the factory flat tappet technology provides... providing broke in correctly and the lube grooves and zinc.

I'm not sure lifter bore tolerances are more critical with flat tappets, whereas slight misalignment causes rollers to put more pressure on one side
than the other. Galling rollers or the needle bearing taking a crap seem to be the issues that crop up. I'd be interested in your further insights...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm certainly not against retro rollers and wish they were reliable enough for my 496 build. When I button it up I want 150,000 trouble free miles.
Like the factory flat tappet technology provides... providing broke in correctly and the lube grooves and zinc.

I'm not sure lifter bore tolerances are more critical with flat tappets, whereas slight misalignment causes rollers to put more pressure on one side
than the other. Galling rollers or the needle bearing taking a crap seem to be the issues that crop up. I'd be interested in your further insights...

I'm by no means an expert of any kind and this is the first cam I've put in a big block. All others were small blocks. I had read a bunch of stuff online about poor oiling to the lifters on a big block and that with modern oils, a flat tappet cam is unlikely to survive the long haul. And the number of statements like that were overwhelming.

But I've known a lot of guys that have run roller cams successfully on the street. Not daily, but for years of nice weather driving.

I haven't had much trouble with flat tappet cams either... except for one. And that one problem engine was enough to sway me away from flat tappets. So much time and money wasted on that one. And frustration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997