Camshaft discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nschneider1983

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350 small block
Hey guys, i'm new on here.. I got an 83 Chevy K10, okay so i need a little help, im wanting to get a cam for my truck and i decided on the 279 comp cam. Now i know i need the camshaft itself, the timing chain and gears, and the lifters. Is there anything else that i NEED to get when installing the cam? Also open to any recommendations on some extra parts/mods to get while i got the engine somewhat apart. Any and all advice is welcome

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Assembly lube for the break in.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Get recommended valve springs. Posi-lock rocker nuts. Roller tip or roller rockers.

nschneider1983

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350 small block
Get recommended valve springs. Posi-lock rocker nuts. Roller tip or roller rockers.

Okay, the cam kit im getting comes with the valve springs i will need, and it comes with the assembly lube. As for the roller rockers or tips, they are not included. What kind do i need to get?

nschneider1983

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350 small block
Why do you want that cam?

well i did some looking around, read some good things about it and i liked the sound of it, as much as i want that lopey sound, it just isn't good for the engine, so i decided on the 279 comp cam.. here is a sound video of it.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I hope you realize for the most part all that cam is all show and not a whole lot of go. Meaning you get the sound of a big cam and not the punch to go with it. Not trying to pick on your cam choice just letting you know the mother thumper is pretty much the same type of turd. Better then stock just a performance let down compared to its sound characteristics. But if the sound is all you want then have at it. It just seams like a waste considering the supporting mods needed.

nschneider1983

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350 small block
I hope you realize for the most part all that cam is all show and not a whole lot of go. Meaning you get the sound of a big cam and not the punch to go with it. Not trying to pick on your cam choice just letting you know the mother thumper is pretty much the same type of turd. Better then stock just a performance let down compared to its sound characteristics. But if the sound is all you want then have at it. It just seams like a waste considering the supporting mods needed.

yeah i get what you are saying, but i'm not building a pulling truck or a drag truck, i'm building MY truck.. i know i wont get huge power gains, but i'm mostly doing it for the sound, i love a good, mean sounding 350.. but yeah i do realize there isn't much performance i will get out of it

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
yeah i get what you are saying, but i'm not building a pulling truck or a drag truck, i'm building MY truck.. i know i wont get huge power gains, but i'm mostly doing it for the sound, i love a good, mean sounding 350.. but yeah i do realize there isn't much performance i will get out of it

you also know that going with a performance cam will give you the sound you like right?

nschneider1983

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
5.7 350 small block
Yeah i do know... but basically all i want is to get the truck repainted, slap a 4-6 inch lift on it and be able run 35s or 37s on it... its not gonna be a perfect show truck, i don't want it to be, but i do want it to be something that people will say "damn, that is a clean looking truck" "damn that truck sounds good"... you know what i'm saying?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Here's an example performance cam...

Compression must be at least 10:1 and you will need headers and a higher stall converter and most likely a vacuum canister.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Yeah i do know... but basically all i want is to get the truck repainted, slap a 4-6 inch lift on it and be able run 35s or 37s on it... its not gonna be a perfect show truck, i don't want it to be, but i do want it to be something that people will say "damn, that is a clean looking truck" "damn that truck sounds good"... you know what i'm saying?

with the additional weight and height of 37s your going to need better gears and more power, and its a lot of work to replace a cam and not gain any power.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
sounds nice here is what my vette sounds like with a mild performance cam