Cab rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Everyone knows my truck, The mintish 1980 C10 with the cardinal red paint and the 400 SBC, but the cab is in...questionable condition. I live in Iowa and we have mean winters, with lots of salt. Now to the point, apparently the patina has gotten a little out of hand, my cab floor is pretty well rusted, the supports that stiffen the cab mounts are also quite rusted, and the rockers....well they don't exist either. I'm goning to buy 2 rockers, and two rust free doors. Now here some pictures.
You must be registered for see images attach
Passenger fender
Passenger door
Passenger Rocker
The cab support
Duck taped rocker

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Sorry about the weird photos

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Everyone knows my truck, The mintish 1980 C10 with the cardinal red paint and the 400 SBC, but the cab is in...questionable condition. I live in Iowa and we have mean winters, with lots of salt. Now to the point, apparently the patina has gotten a little out of hand, my cab floor is pretty well rusted, the supports that stiffen the cab mounts are also quite rusted, and the rockers....well they don't exist either. I'm goning to buy 2 rockers, and two rust free doors. Now here some pictures.
Passenger fender
Passenger door
Passenger Rocker
The cab support
Duck taped rocker
I’d fix it..... it’s not a weekend project but it can be done. Then again I cut my teeth on rust repair putting old air cooled VWs back together. Lol

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate

Drivers fender

Drivers door. Wasn't me who did that, it was the idiot I bought it from

Here is the cab corner Drivers side

Here is the door sill.....what's left of it anyway.

And that's all that's left of the drivers side cab mount.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
This is under the door, I have easy access to my speakers

This is my Drivers fender and rocker.
Is this floor bad enough to replace?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Did you do the stab test?

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
@Jrgunn5150, this is how bad the rust is ,typical mid-west. Possibly stupid question, do the mount supports have to be welded? I saw in that youtube video you had and thought I saw a bolt in there. Also I hate to ask but I have no idea what to look for cab support wise. And to finish this out, what are inner rockers and do I need them? How can I fix that hole I the door sill? should I replace those rubber bushings? And can someone give me 25,000 so I can fix the cab, box, seat, electrical, and buy the new engine cause the one I have had a hairline crack above the fuel pump that my mechanic fixed with some blue devil or something like that.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
looks like you need alot of patch panels and some other replacements like doors fenders, but patch panels like inner and outer rockers, most likely inner and outer cab corners, the floor supports, floor pans, maybe kick panels

Don't feel bad honestly yours is so rust you need them, mines got a lil here lil there but yet needs every panel like yours, rockers, corners, supports, pans, kick panels you name it.

Best price on parts and shipping I found so far is jegs, no oversized chare on pans, rockers etc. now fenders, doors inner fenders, another story. The jegs parts I saw were amd brand

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
looks like you need alot of patch panels and some other replacements like doors fenders, but patch panels like inner and outer rockers, most likely inner and outer cab corners, the floor supports, floor pans, maybe kick panels

Don't feel bad honestly yours is so rust you need them, mines got a lil here lil there but yet needs every panel like yours, rockers, corners, supports, pans, kick panels you name it.

Best price on parts and shipping I found so far is jegs, no oversized chare on pans, rockers etc. now fenders, doors inner fenders, another story. The jegs parts I saw were amd brand
LMC has the lowest oversized fee. I searched around when I got my rear wheel arches and LMC won. Lol and they will freight ship to your house most will only to a depot or business.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Well this will be a learning experience

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
CAn someone help me find the right cab supports? cant find em

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Good news, we found a guy who has a 84 square he's parting out so I'm getting, big mirrors, doors, and maybe some other stuff.

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/425-4073/10002/-1

those are the outermost cab supports that the body mount sits under and the bolt goes up into this support. I'm not sure if you need the long one from front to rear or not.

If you order over a hundred dollars worth jegs ships it free and no oversized part charge on the cab pieces. jegs will ship to home for freight or summit they charge around $100 for truck freight, doors, hoods, bed sides, outer fenders ship truck freight, sometimes an outer fender won't go freight, and alot of the times now an inner fender doesn't.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/405-4073-R/10002/-1

those pans are meant to drop in from the top and cover th emost area the others are replacments, they do not go up or out as far.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/406-4073-L/10002/-1

those have your inner rocer on them, the outermost edge of the floor and such, depending on how bad the rust is in the lower lip of where the weatherstrip sits, how far back it goes this maybe the one you need.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/440-4073-L/10002/-1

that one is basically the same piece but shorter, not as far back or forward.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/450-4073-R/10002/-1

replacement style rocker, extends up the front pilar and up the rear.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/402-4073-R/10002/-1

this is the area next to your foot, most of the time it's rotted, didn't see any inside pics but still here it is.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/480-4073-2L/10002/-1

outer cab corner replacment type they do have some taller or wider depends on how bad yours ends up being

http://www.jegs.com/i/Key-Parts/576/0850-217L/10002/-1

these are the inner cab corners when you rip off the outer you'll most likely find this has rust as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

that is a good video on replacing all that stuff alot of parts check them out

keep in mind as others told me keep the cab on the frame or make a jig to keep it as it is before tear down and rewelding in new pieces. Also if you buy bigger patches then you need you can always cut them down and use only what you need.

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
Good news, we found a guy who has a 84 square he's parting out so I'm getting, big mirrors, doors, and maybe some other stuff.
If it was me I would het the 84 cab if it is good and cut the things off to fix your cab or do a cab swap

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84