CA Fuel pump nozzles and old squarebodies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfinsf

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
so its the boot thats the issue? I have insane hand grip as a result of fueling my 74 C20. I have wondered if another year/model had better filler tubes

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Having lived in Californai all my life I know it helps having all this smog crap in place. When they started the smog tests in 1984 it had a rolling 20 year limit. I think it then went to a 25 year limit, then they stuck us with anything '76 and newer had to get smogged every other year. IT SUCKS!

I just had to spend about $600 bucks on a new intake and other parts just so I could sell my '79 as it wouldn't pass smog due to a warped intake. I had to get a referee to authorize me to put on a Performer intake. I would love to run a FAST fuel injection on my '85, but the referee won't pass that set up. I would have to go to an '87 or later engine. I could then run whatever CARB exemptions there are for that year motor.
I agree they quite ridiculous. I always thought the rolling 20 year limit was fair. But I get it, in Cali, people would keep a 20 year or older car just avoid all the hassle and fees and now days a 20 year old vehicle is fairly modern and helpful to the air quality until people start pulling the ECM's and running carbs and such. And the fact, people don't really maintain their older back up vehicle. So what it has 300,000 miles and burning 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. But still, you'd think they could bring that limit of 76 up to say 84 or so where ODB1 became quite common. Even 96 where OBD2 became industry standard would be sufficient.

But here's what get's me the most about Cali, so if a guy has an 85 squarebody, and does an LS Swap, he has to go to a referee and get the vehicle recertified and it's then held to the later year model standards. That's total ********. You know that LS by default is going to be much cleaner than the 85 emissions so leave the guy alone and pat him on the back and leave him alone. Orrrr, if you do an engine replacement say in a 94 year model TBI truck and you find a used 87 TBI that's been previously rebuilt and it great shape, you can't put that 87 block in that 94 truck without paying big waiver fees when they're the same damn engine. Serial #'s on blocks shouldn't make a damn. If the guy uses even a 71 block so long he's kept all the TBI and all the emissions, he should be good to go. But that's libtard politician idgets for you.

Reactions: WFO

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Having lived in Californai all my life I know it helps having all this smog crap in place. When they started the smog tests in 1984 it had a rolling 20 year limit. I think it then went to a 25 year limit, then they stuck us with anything '76 and newer had to get smogged every other year. IT SUCKS!

I just had to spend about $600 bucks on a new intake and other parts just so I could sell my '79 as it wouldn't pass smog due to a warped intake. I had to get a referee to authorize me to put on a Performer intake. I would love to run a FAST fuel injection on my '85, but the referee won't pass that set up. I would have to go to an '87 or later engine. I could then run whatever CARB exemptions there are for that year motor.
But hey, don't forget, you can always find a Squarebody originally a 6.2 and exempt. What is the cut off for diesel? Isn't it like 96 or so? Any 96 or older diesel is exempt from smog all together. No inspection even to make sure you have swapped in a smoggy gas engine. This is why I've held my K10 so long. Originally a 6.2 truck. I love to Cali, bet your ass that truck is going with me. It would be worth it for you Cali guys to leave state to buy one and bring it in if it was one you planned on keeping forever.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I think 95 and older diesels are exempt here. I had thought about buying a diesel square body prior to finding my K30, but CHP and California Air Resources Board still have rolling smog check points here. I worked in law enforcement for 27 years and twice within the last 5 years they were testing in my city. It's voluntary, for now, but I didn't want to risk it even though I'm retired and would probably get a pass from the officers if I got waived in.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Even if they do have rolling check points, you're still exempt by law. I'd also think they'd wave all squares to go on being that body style is so old. Most of those guys are going to stereotype and pull in the newer model hoopty vehicles, and the lowered ricers that look like modified street race cars.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Even if they do have rolling check points, you're still exempt by law. I'd also think they'd wave all squares to go on being that body style is so old. Most of those guys are going to stereotype and pull in the newer model hoopty vehicles, and the lowered ricers that look like modified street race cars.

Actually they're not exempt. California Vehicle Code 27156 says you can't remove/tamper with any emissions equipment. Although they don't have to be tested any longer, you still can't remove the equipment it came with. They federal law the California refers to is the required equipment at the time the vehicle was contructed. I know I'm splitting hairs and there are probably very few LE officers that know this much info, but there are a few out there. I'd rather people be informed, then find out later what they built is illegal.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Actually they're not exempt. California Vehicle Code 27156 says you can't remove/tamper with any emissions equipment. Although they don't have to be tested any longer, you still can't remove the equipment it came with. They federal law the California refers to is the required equipment at the time the vehicle was contructed. I know I'm splitting hairs and there are probably very few LE officers that know this much info, but there are a few out there. I'd rather people be informed, then find out later what they built is illegal.
I agree, better to be informed and KNOW the laws. And yes you are correct, the emissions are NOT supposed to be removed. I even failed vehicles because the law said to for not having the heat riser on the passenger side exhaust manifold for the Thermostatic Air Cleaner. That sucked, but I didn't know the person and it very well could have been a sting op and there were lots of stings going on trying to catch the testing techs for passing vehicles that should have failed. They'd bait a vehicle and if you passed it, you'd get a fine and so would the owner of company you were working for.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedgmt400