CA Fuel pump nozzles and old squarebodies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
Near impossible to fuel this thing without leaking fuel onto the ground.. I can minimize it by squatting down and applying a lot of force and then manually holding the trigger.. I'm like 'tired' after fueling this way though.. lol

Is there any way to get modern CA fuel pump nozzles to play nice with these old filler necks? There appears to be no lip for the pump to 'hang on, and the angle is such that it wants to fall out.. You gotta position the angle just right to keep it from tripping the 'full' sensor on the nozzle...

I have no idea what year the bed (or the tank/filler for that matter) is from..

Surely, this is a common problem and somebody has come up with a solution...

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I have the same issue on my 74.

I push the nozzle all the way in, then tilt the handle up. Fill it up quickly for abut 90% of what's needed, then the last gallon or so pump it slowly by hand.

But yeah, haven't found a way to just flip the hold and let it do its thing yet.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I turn it to the side and squeeze the handle about half and works pretty good, but those never worked that great from day one anyways, get a pump with good pressure and it would blurp even with the old nozzles.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
I was afraid of that...

Maybe I can at least come up with a collar that makes the flange around the opening smooth (without the screws sticking up) so that at least it won't drip all over the place and require as much 'pushing'

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I was afraid of that...

Maybe I can at least come up with a collar that makes the flange around the opening smooth (without the screws sticking up) so that at least it won't drip all over the place and require as much 'pushing'
If you come up with a good solution, I'd love to know about it.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
I have the same issue on my 74.

I push the nozzle all the way in, then tilt the handle up. Fill it up quickly for abut 90% of what's needed, then the last gallon or so pump it slowly by hand.

But yeah, haven't found a way to just flip the hold and let it do its thing yet.

This is what I do even for non-California situations.

K

morrow07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
1977 - 1989
Truck Model
Cheyenne - V2500
Engine Size
406 - 350
I pull the elephant trunk back and start filling. Sorry no way not to make that sound gross

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Most of the guys here probably don't even have a clue what you're referring to. I'm sure you're talking about the vapor recovery boot that's on the dispenser nozzle right?

Just a heads up, dispenser I mean as what most refer to as the pump. It's not a pump. Most stations actually have 1 pump called a turbine for each blend of gas they sell and it sits on top of the underground tank. What we refer to as "pump" is not a pump at all. It's a dispenser that measures the amount of fuel and calculates the sale of fuel and also handles the vapor recovery in the Cali counties that require vapor recovery at the dispenser.

K5freak

Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My K5 will only take fuel with the nozzle turned upside down then fills completely without issue, just have to hold it the whole time

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Our dispenser nozzles are circumcised in PA.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My K5 will only take fuel with the nozzle turned upside down then fills completely without issue, just have to hold it the whole time
Yep, that vapor recovery boot is sorta spring loaded forcing you to hold it tight to the filler neck. That's the whole purpose in CA. Holding the boot tight, so all the vapor can be recovered into the vapor recovery system of the underground tanks. It actually works similar to our charcoal canister purge on our trucks. I helped plumb a few gas stations in So Cali when those boots were fairly new. Sure made for alot more work. I did a few retrofit jobs too where we had to upgrade stations with the vapor recovery system.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yep, that vapor recovery boot is sorta spring loaded forcing you to hold it tight to the filler neck. That's the whole purpose in CA. Holding the boot tight, so all the vapor can be recovered into the vapor recovery system of the underground tanks. It actually works similar to our charcoal canister purge on our trucks. I helped plumb a few gas stations in So Cali when those boots were fairly new. Sure made for alot more work. I did a few retrofit jobs too where we had to upgrade stations with the vapor recovery system.
Sounds like a bunch of tree huggin hippy crap to me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like a bunch of tree huggin hippy crap to me.
It sure does. But believe it or not, while Cali was the dirtiest state in the 60's and 70's as far as air, and while population increased and so has # of cars on the roads have increased, they have actually reversed their bad air quality and there are many cities worse than Cali that have less than half the population. That **** worked. You can now see the foothills and mountains in So Cali. Before, when I lived there, you only seen those after a hard couple of rainy days that brought in some fresh air off the coast. All that **** they do actually made a difference. I don't think we need all those strict emissions every where in the country but certainly in highly populated areas like the So Cali basin. I'm far from a tree huggin' Prius lovin' hippy but have to admit, the proof is there and maybe 1 of the only things Cali did do right.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You know even OKC has Ozone days, where our air quality is very poor. When the weather reports come out, they usually tell us a day or two in advance when we're going to have what they call "An Ozone Day" and they're usually a few days in a row in the Summer time is when they happen. But our air quality is getting border line we may have to do something about it. At this point, we have no safety inspections, no emissions testing, no nothing. But the state gubment threatens to do something about it if we don't do our part. We don't want that ****. So when the weather man says, carpool, don't get gas unless you get it early in the morning or later in the evening after dark, don't mow your lawn, avoid riding, driving or using 2 stroke equipment or bikes, the people pretty much listen and comply the best they can. You'll see gas stations that aren't very busy, and less traffic on the freeway and at least some of the landscape guys take the days off, or mow earlier take the afternoon off, and go back at it in the late afternoon or early evening.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
It sure does. But believe it or not, while Cali was the dirtiest state in the 60's and 70's as far as air, and while population increased and so has # of cars on the roads have increased, they have actually reversed their bad air quality and there are many cities worse than Cali that have less than half the population. That **** worked. You can now see the foothills and mountains in So Cali. Before, when I lived there, you only seen those after a hard couple of rainy days that brought in some fresh air off the coast. All that **** they do actually made a difference. I don't think we need all those strict emissions every where in the country but certainly in highly populated areas like the So Cali basin. I'm far from a tree huggin' Prius lovin' hippy but have to admit, the proof is there and maybe 1 of the only things Cali did do right.

Having lived in Californai all my life I know it helps having all this smog crap in place. When they started the smog tests in 1984 it had a rolling 20 year limit. I think it then went to a 25 year limit, then they stuck us with anything '76 and newer had to get smogged every other year. IT SUCKS!

I just had to spend about $600 bucks on a new intake and other parts just so I could sell my '79 as it wouldn't pass smog due to a warped intake. I had to get a referee to authorize me to put on a Performer intake. I would love to run a FAST fuel injection on my '85, but the referee won't pass that set up. I would have to go to an '87 or later engine. I could then run whatever CARB exemptions there are for that year motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara