C20 Crew Cab Lowering Kit - Advise / Experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Top Heavy

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
i have a 1973 C20 3+3, 454ci, 4-speed, and I would like to static drop as low as possible while maintaining 8 bolt wheels and 3/4 components. I understand that I may loose some if the capabilities of the carrying capacity and may require helper bags; a different conversation for this.

I have cruised through many forums and threads, the majority require the replacement for components with C10 - in the process of this with a different CCSB project and would prefer not to on this project.

There appears to be many kits for C10 and C30 dually, even a 6/8 kit for a dually - though nothing really specific for a larger drop C20 CC.

With all of this said, would a hybrid kit work? C10 front components (maintaining 8-bolt rotors/wheels) with a C30 flip/notch kit inn the rear? Do any manufacturers make a 6/8 kit for a C20?

What have some of you done?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Check out Western Chassis Inc (https://westernchassisinc.com/). They'll have everything you need to drop your C20 without needing to swap over to half ton stuff. I used them when dropping my #/4 ton burb :waytogo:

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I ordered a Western Chassis 3/5 kit for my C35 on December 18th and I was told yesterday that it will be at least 2 more months before it ships. I have been told since February that it would be 4-6 weeks longer so I would call at the end of the allotted time and be told 4-6 weeks again.

I ordered mine through Summit Racing and in my discussions with Western Chassis I discovered the kit when ordered through Summit has to say Western Chassis on the spindle and it sounds like they aren't really interested in producing them. I was told that the spindles WC has in stock are forged in China and the one's Summit spec'd are forged in USA. I didn't really see the point in paying almost $400 more for the Chinese version so here I sit.

I also looked into Belltech but all they offer is a 3" drop spindle which requires modifying the lower control arm for a stock 16" wheel. That is apparently the only spindle drop they offer for my truck.

If you come up with a better solution please share it because this has been a very frustrating experience all around.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I ordered a Western Chassis 3/5 kit for my C35 on December 18th and I was told yesterday that it will be at least 2 more months before it ships. I have been told since February that it would be 4-6 weeks longer so I would call at the end of the allotted time and be told 4-6 weeks again.

I ordered mine through Summit Racing and in my discussions with Western Chassis I discovered the kit when ordered through Summit has to say Western Chassis on the spindle and it sounds like they aren't really interested in producing them. I was told that the spindles WC has in stock are forged in China and the one's Summit spec'd are forged in USA. I didn't really see the point in paying almost $400 more for the Chinese version so here I sit.

I also looked into Belltech but all they offer is a 3" drop spindle which requires modifying the lower control arm for a stock 16" wheel. That is apparently the only spindle drop they offer for my truck.

If you come up with a better solution please share it because this has been a very frustrating experience all around.
Thanks for sharing, Chip. I have to say that the experience you're having is polar opposite of what I had just 3 or so years ago when I got my stuff. My customer support experience was flawless and I got my stuff in the time they said it would arrive. That sucks that you're having a hard time with them :(

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Thanks for sharing, Chip. I have to say that the experience you're having is polar opposite of what I had just 3 or so years ago when I got my stuff. My customer support experience was flawless and I got my stuff in the time they said it would arrive. That sucks that you're having a hard time with them :(
It got to the point where Summit's customer service told me to start calling Western Chassis directly. The person I was live chatting yesterday told me that no one at Summit would ever tell a customer to do that. I believe my problem is more with Summit than WC but it took a long time to get a straight answer out of either company on what is going on. The guy at WC was very reluctant to say the stuff you buy directly from them is forged in China so I asked him directly and he confirmed. The problem is almost all the kits from WC use the same front spindle with a 2" drop and they make up the rest with a shorter coil spring. I do like that the rear drop is accomplished with new leaf springs and they seem to be the only company doing it that way. Everyone else wants a shackle or flip to accomplish the drop.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I agree. I liked the rear leaf spring solution a lot myself.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
This has been discussed before, but the C20 3+3 frame and a C30 frame should be the same. I know the '80 C20 3+3 I had in the 90's was.

Top Heavy

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Craig 85 does this mean that a dually lowering kit will work (for the rear anyway) on a C20 crew cab?

What about the spindles?

I don't have any 1 ton trucks to verify with.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I can't verify the front spindles, hopefully someone else can. Here's a couple pictures of my '85 K30 SRW. A few things that identify the rear as 1 ton items are the shock locations, the shackles and the spring hangers. 1-tons have the shocks mounted inside the frame. 1/2 and 3/4 tons are mount outside the frame and the shock are in reverse locations. My right faces the rear, the left is forward. 1-ton spring hangers are more vertical and move the springs inboard. My truck is at the shop or I'd give you the perch measurements. Lastly, you should have square u-bolts with the bolts facing down.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
The I think the front spindles are the issue. Do you have pictures of those on your truck @Craig 85? I think that the way he’s going with max static drop he’ll be using an axle flip and probably shackles but the 1 ton has a 56” spring in the rear for reference.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Big Chip my current truck is a 4WD. I had the 3+3 in the mid 90's. I was mainly showing what my hangers look like for reference. My springs are almost flush with the frame. Also my are 4WD hangers, so they are longer than 2WD versions. This photo depicts a standard cab 2WD 3/4 ton set up. You'll notice how much further the spring sits out from the frame than my truck.

attachment.php

Top Heavy

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Does this mean that a C30 flip kit in the rear of a C20 works an will allow the static lowering of 7-8"?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Does this mean that a C30 flip kit in the rear of a C20 works an will allow the static lowering of 7-8"?

Look at the pictures and compare to what you have. If its similar to mine, then you basically have a SRW C30 set up. I can't tell you if that low of a flip kit will work. I think that low you would have to C-notch the frame. All of my truck have always been lifted. I looked at the C20/30 spindles on line and the front brake set up are totally different. I know it's not close to the drop you're looking for, but Performance on Line has 2.5" dropped spindles for C20's. They also have drop springs from 1-4"

https://www.performanceonline.com/71-87-chevy-gmc-c20-drop-spindle-2-half-inch/
https://www.performanceonline.com/1963-72-Chevy-C10-C20-Truck-Front-Coil-Spring-Set/

Top Heavy

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks @Craig 85 I'll have to review it all this weekend, as verification of components will be required before the ordering process.

With the combination of parts listed, it looks like a 6.5"/8" drop may be possible. A C-notch will probably required, isn't really a big deal.

I do know that my other 3+3 camper special has a smaller secondary spring pack on top of the 56" spring pack - it's doesn't really look like either picture due to this.

Anyone have experience with "Performance Online" or "Switch"?

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Someone on here used Switch. I think it was @smoothandlow84 but I’m not sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84