C10 control arm question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
So while goofin around under my hood i noticed that the control arm on the driver side has more shims in it then the passenger side. Plus the driver side has one more in the front then the back. Would this have been factory? As you can see by the rubber bushings they appear to still be factory, also judgin by the still riveted ball joints. Thanks for your input. Just a dumb question...

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Shims will be different to set the camber and caster correctly and is correct. If you were to get a front end alignment the amount in either of the 2 spots could be different. Also if the upper ball joints have the rivets they are the original ones.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Shims will be different to set the camber and caster correctly and is correct. If you were to get a front end alignment the amount in either of the 2 spots could be different. Also if the upper ball joints have the rivets they are the original ones.
Would the lowers be riveted too?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Would the lowers be riveted too?
Lower many times are pressed in. I know they are on the 3/4 tons, but maybe rivets on a half ton, but I'm almost certain lowers are generally always pressed in.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
Lowers are pressed in.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Yeah, They GONE !!!
Ya know what though she still cruises like a caddy...(floats like one too) and given my current financial state, theyll stay that way for quite awhile sadly.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Dude those bushings are mint, mine wore out so bad they had rubbed through to the control arm

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ya know what though she still cruises like a caddy...(floats like one too) and given my current financial state, theyll stay that way for quite awhile sadly.
Oh yeah. I believe it too. You'll never get another set to last as good as those have even on their deathbed. Just don't do as OB said above and wait til the start banging shafts and controls cuz then my might be replacing egg shaped control arms as well as the shaft instead of just bushings. I'm sure you still have many miles left on them. Those not perfect, they'll sufice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat